Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you for posting the content goldenpig!
    I will share this with my DH before we take my son to the pool again!

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for posting this article....I sent it to DH as a reminder.

I read a good article in Parents Mag last year...maybe? That said, if you have a pool or are near water and for some reason can't find your child....check the pool/water FIRST....do not run around the house/yard....go immediately to the pool.

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Link isn't working for me either. I'll check kellymom's site...

DF just lost her nephew (2) to a pool accident last week. Very tragic.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you for this! I'm a bonafide fish and former lifeguard, and even I need this reminder. And i cannot tell you how many people get distracted from watching their child in the water. I was on a playdate, and i had a hard time, myself. It's hard to talk to each other AND watch our kids while in that water. I feel alot better one on one with DS at the pool and can just focus on watching him.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DH jumped in to get DS from the pool 2 days ago. We're on vacation and DS was in the pool practicing his snorkeling. He can swim and we've snorkeled all week with him. He was in the middle of the deep end and swallowed water and started to panic. He had on a wet suit and a swimming vest we're using when in the ocean to help with floating, so there was no chance of him sinking. But he panicked and forgot EVERYTHING he knows about swimming. He could have gotten himself to the pool's edge or floated or tread water, but he just panicked and was screaming. I had him back in the pool the next day and we practiced what he could do if he ever swallows too much water.

My sister was a lifeguard, and she told me ages 5-8 were dangerous as kids think they can swim and parents think they can, but most kids aren't strong enough swimmers and get out of their depth/tire/fooling around and parents just don't watch them as they think they're now safe around the water.

While we're at the beach, I've seen kids my DS's age, 5, and younger playing in the shallows and no parent close by. Yesterday I was in knee deep water watching DS and a little girl he befriended. Her parents were 50' away and drinking beers.
    Last edited by niccig; 06-29-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you for posting.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Last summer Dora fell into our pool, right in front of me. I was 8 months pregnant, and had to run to the other side, and jump in to haul her out. After the initial splash, she was silently struggling, her eyes wide open and terrified. I can see it to this day, clear as anything. I can't imagine what it would've been like if no one was there when she fell in. She was not swimming, she was skimming the pool, and lost her balance.

Dh and I have a policy on our pool. We have bought the kids life vests, and they wear them whenever they are in the pool area. Neither of us take all three of them to the pool area if we're alone. We behave on the assumption that sooner or later one of them WILL fall in accidentally. For that reason we watch them all the time. Last year both Dora and Arwyn did fall in. Since we were RIGHT there, it was a simple matter to haul them out. In due time Laurel will have her turn. We are having a pool party in a couple of weeks. We have hired a pool monitor who's sole responsibility will be to WATCH.THE.POOL and raise the alarm if someone falls in or gets into trouble.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpig View Post
    but they also do lessons for babies 6 months-1 year where the baby can float on their back. Nothing replaces careful adult supervision of course, but it's a little peace of mind that if the unthinkable were to happen and she were to fall in the water, that she would have a fighting chance to survive.

See http://www.infantswim.com/ for more info and videos.

Also, the AAP recently changed their stance on swimming classes for children under 4:
    http://www.aap.org/pressroom/aappr-may2410mailing.htm
    My DD was 10 months when she starts so she finished before 12 months which is when they do the swim float swim technique. We are going back to our instructor in a few months to go to the next next. My older boys started with her first before I put DD in and had a hard time at first especially when the lifeguard in me was screaming to go get her.

Wonder if ISR is the reason why they changed it since they have 40 yrs of reasearch?
    ~Sun

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    Thanks....sent it along to many.

/hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for sharing this - I've passed it along.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast