Default Recommend an adult-only AI in Riviera Maya area

We just booked a flight to Cancun to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday in January. Now we've got to figure out where we want to stay. We've been to the Riviera Maya a few times and stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya, which is wonderful for families, but we want to do an adult-only, all-inclusive resort this time (mostly so we won't see kids and miss our own children). The Iberostar Grand gets amazing reviews, but we've already stayed right next door twice and kind of want to try something different.

A others few that look nice... Secrets Maroma, Aventura Spa Palace, Royal Hideaway. Has anyone been to these? Any other recommendations? We are looking to relax at a great pool and/or beach, eat yummy food (we're foodies) and just relax.

Thanks!
    Lisa

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence Riviera Maya and loved everything about it. The food, drinks, and service were amazing and the pools fabulous! When we went I found a great package on Expedia. If you look on Tripadvisor they have all positive reviews, I did alot of research on Tripadvisor before picking the Excellence for the trip we took and we weren't disappointed.

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The El Dorado Seaside Suites has good food. There is a nudist resort next door that has access, so the guests make it a game to come over nude and have a drink at the bar. Just a warning if that would offend you.
    mom to Billy 12/07

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    The El Dorado Seaside Suites has good food. There is a nudist resort next door that has access, so the guests make it a game to come over nude and have a drink at the bar. Just a warning if that would offend you.
    When I was looking at this resort for us, I thought I read that if they came over, they had to be clothed (hotel policy). Maybe this has changed.

Topless sunbathing is not uncommon in the Mayan Riviera too. If nudity offends you, topless sunbathing might. The op should definitely look into which resorts allow it and which don't if she's got an issue with nakedness. We go to the Mayan Riviera every year. We don't even notice the topless stuff any more.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I know you want something different BUT the Iberostar Grand IS really awesome. From what I can tell it is significantly nicer and very different than the resort right next door. The food was great, it was quiet, and I enjoyed the spa quite a bit I haven't stayed anywhere else that was Adults only though.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Thanks for all the info... please keep the suggestions coming if you have some.

I'll take a pass on the nudist resorts for sure. But topless sunbathers don't bother me.

The Iberostar Grand does look awesome -- unfortunately it is significantly more expensive than a lot of the others. But I know the prices will be coming down as we get closer so I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH and I stayed at the Royal Hideaway back in late-2003, when I was pregnant with Punkin, for our anniversary. OMG it was so wonderful. Rooms are amazing, grounds are amazing, food was amazing, beach was amazing... aaahhhh, what I wouldn't give to go back there!!! SOOO romantic! The wait staff will bring you drinks at the beach or pool, the pool was wonderful and I often had a little pool all to myself (while DH was off golfing) and made "friends" with an iguana that liked the shade right there. They have concierges that serve each bungalow (I think 4-6 rooms) that took wonderful care of us, and even hung a sign in our room wishing us a Happy Anniversary!

We LOVED it there. If you have any specific questions, ask away! I'd return there in a heartbeat!!!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)