Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Did you go without an epidural? If so, maybe your body was just taking a bit of a down time before time to push (that happens and it's a wonderful thing!). But, with both of my boys (no pain meds), the urge to push was overwhelming. It felt like I really, really had to go to the bathroom. So much pressure!

Beth
    Yes, I didn't have an epidural last time. My OB broke my water. I was in so much pain after he broke the bag. So, I didn't remember about the urge to push, more like a lot of pain from scale 5 to 10 right after the water was broken. I felt like I was going to pass out but kept pushing when they told me too and recalled screaming for an epidural. Fortunately, it lasted only 15 mins from the time he broke my bad till the baby was born.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    If you are GBS+ they shouldn't be breaking your water or checking you a lot anyway.
    I was GBS+ and had a scheduled AROM. I was dilating about a cm a wk for the 6 wks leading up to my due date. I was around 8 cm when I went to the hospital for my appt (w/o any contractions). My Dr basically said she couldn't have me walking around like that anymore, or my husband would end up delivering the baby. The GBS+ was also a concern, in that there would be no time to do the IV. I guess she was right, I had the baby 1.5 hrs after the AROM.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With my oldest, my dr's office used to give out a call schedule to women in their 9th month. They stopped doing it though, because people would try and wait at home if it was a dr they didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
    It may sound odd, but I never pushed till they told me to. How do you know when it is time to push?

I am 37 wks. All the medical records are in the database where medical staffs can access in any hospital computers.
    do you get epidurals? that might be why you don't feel the urge to push. the longest I've ever pushed (30 minutes) was with my oldest & an epidural. the other 2 times I knew when I needed to all by myself. I can't tell you what it feels like, but if you felt it, you'd know.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    I was GBS+ and had a scheduled AROM. I was dilating about a cm a wk for the 6 wks leading up to my due date. I was around 8 cm when I went to the hospital for my appt (w/o any contractions). My Dr basically said she couldn't have me walking around like that anymore, or my husband would end up delivering the baby. The GBS+ was also a concern, in that there would be no time to do the IV. I guess she was right, I had the baby 1.5 hrs after the AROM.
    8 cm is kind of different. They assume (usually correctly) that when they do AROM at 8 cm, the baby will be forthcoming shortly. AROM is a heck of a lot better than other methods of induction.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    8 cm is kind of different. They assume (usually correctly) that when they do AROM at 8 cm, the baby will be forthcoming shortly. AROM is a heck of a lot better than other methods of induction.
    With DC#2, I was fully dialated 10cm when my OB did AROM. I still wonder whether it was necessary and it would be better trying to push the baby out while DC still in the bag.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I didn't go in early either time (I was GBC pos both times). I was about 5 cm when I got to the hospital the first time and 7 cm when I got to the hospital with the second. Both times, I had enough time to get 2 doses of the antibiotic. I would have been fine with getting one dose, if things had gone quicker the second time.

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
    With DC#2, I was fully dialated 10cm when my OB did AROM. I still wonder whether it was necessary and it would be better trying to push the baby out while DC still in the bag.
    I fail to see the point of AROM at 10 cm. It's really cool when the baby comes out in the sac. There's a name for it. I just can't remember it right now.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had GBS with DD1 and I went to the hospital way earlier than I should have because I thought the braxton hicks I was having were the real thing as 4 days before my dr. told me that I was 4/1/2 cm. dialated. To make a long story short I got in at midnight, admitted by 1 am, and got my IV of penecilin at 1:30 am, by the time I was finally ready to push with DD I was on my third bag of penicilin. I was bound and determined to have DD1 before I had to start that fourth bag of penicilin, I had her with 30 minutes to spare. In the middle of all of this my water was broken (I should've made the choice to go home), but had stalled labor too so I also had pitocin.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

OB doesn't want to get splattered if the sac burst as baby is coming out (not that that's a good reason, imo). Being born in the caul is good luck in some cultures.

Beth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast