Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Definitely car seat -- the CARES harness does not fit small children well at all. It d/n fit my 2yo last year.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP, I didn't call ahead, but I looked as nervous and pathetic as possible. I think I might, in your situation, call ahead. Another idea is to see if you can get a note from your doctor about not carrying too much stuff and present that when you check in? I think I've really only had one person who gave us a hard time, but eventually gave in. Most agents however, were really cool.

Plus it was nice to have my mom or dad walk me to the gate and sit with me while I waited for the plane.

ETA: the time my husband met me at the gate, I don't remember if the airline called ahead for me and said to let him through or what. I'll see if he remembers. (he met because I had to gate check the car seat and couldn't manage all the stuff).
    Last edited by larig; 06-30-2010 at 01:27 PM.

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mugsyb View Post
    Do you think I should call ahead of time to find out if I can get a buddy to help me to the gate? I'm really hoping people will show mercy on me seeing the "load" I'm carrying... But I know I can't count on it!
    I would ask the airline what their policy is on giving gate passes. When I flew alone with DS at 9 months I was able to get a gate pass for my mom to come through security and wait at the gate with me. All she needed was a photo ID and it was a very simple process (other than having to wait in the regular check-in line b/c the people at the bag/online check-in area couldn't do it.) Of course, even with asking ahead, the person there that day may or may not do it. (You might want to do an online chat or email the airline so that you can have whatever they tell you in print.)
    Last edited by mousemom; 07-02-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Corrected DS's age
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A bag for your Baby Jogger is another option stroller-wise. If you're going to have a 3rd (obviously) and might fly with everyone a few times, it would be advantageous to have it. We use ours a few times a year.

Great ideas!

Do the bags do a good job of protecting the stroller?

My concern with the double stroller is getting it through the airport. I'm not sure where the Southwest gates are at Dulles...and not sure if I have to ride the shuttle bus or the Tram to the gate. I'll have to check into that. But definitely a good option.

Thanks again everyone! Very helpful info..

I second the suggestion about getting a Scenera with the travel bag. I don't own one myself, but hear they are seriously lightweight, so that would help with carrying it through the airport. Just practice installing whatever seat you decide to bring with the seatbelt. It really is simple, do it a few times and you'll be fine.

What seat with the 3 1/2 year old be using once you arrive? You may want to send DH to WalMart or Target to pick up a Scenera and have it installed for once you get there. Not sure how big your older child is, so not sure if that's the best choice for him/her, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Christie
    mommy to DS 08/07
    Riding in a Frontier 85, Boulevard, and True Fit

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Roundabout (it's the regular 40lb limit one?) is nice and small, the Scenera is lighter, but the Roundabout is so easy to install RF in a rental car.

I'm sure you can get a gate pass (and your DH can get one at the other end) and it won't be that bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2