♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default cloth diapering - dealing with poop after starting solids..

first off, dealing with poop now really stinks, literally. it's like night and day..even though ds is still mostly ebf'ed, the few spoons of solids he has every day completely have changed his poops for the worse! lol

once we started solids we have been putting a flushable liner (imse vimse) over the prefold to catch the solid part of the poop. so far it does a very good job of getting stuff but the hard part is positioning it in the diaper so that it catches everything. the liner is not as big as the prefold (red edge GMD) so thats another issue, sometimes the way i put it some of the poop gets on the prefold but not the liner and so i have to scrape it off (blech!).

am running low on liners now so i'm wondering if i should reorder or switch to something else. is it worth getting a diaper sprayer instead... is that easier than just using flushable liner? i got the liners cuz i thot it would be easier just flushing the liners and not having to deal with wet diapers (after spraying) every single day (we do diaper laundry every other night). also i didn't want to get a sprayer initially bc i figured that in a few months the poo will become more solid and i can just shake it off into the toilet. right now though it's in that in-between stage where it's very sticky and solid but not solid enough to just shake off.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-30-2010 at 08:18 PM.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I do recommend getting the sprayer. I also had a dedicated pair of rubber gloves for dealing with those diapers. And maybe you could try the flushable liners (I use them, too) in toddler size and then just fold them to fit over the prefold?
    There should be no problem from putting the wet diapers in the diaper pail. Actually keeping them wet/damp will prevent staining.
    HTH

I'd get a sprayer. I wasn't able to "shake" off my kids poopy diapers until around their second birthdays, so you may not be able to do that as soon as you'd hope. I bought my sprayer when I started having to clean grape skins out of my washer after every diaper load. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I use flushable liners once in a blue moon now, usually when traveling, but I have a hard time remembering to use them, and every time I forgot, it seemed like that was when they'd poop. The sprayer has been worth every penny we paid, and now that my kids are potty trained we use it to spray out the Bjorn potty.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

you totally need a sprayer. And having the wet dipes in the pail for 2 days is no biggie.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

bum genius has a great sprayer.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm in the minority here, but we use liners. I did find though that around 8months things really did get more solid and rolling off was more of a possibility. My husband was anti sprayer because he felt that there would always be particles of poop that inevitably would get sprayed about (he's a TOTAL germ/bacteria-a-fob : So, we use liners and it works well.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Funny, my dh is Swiss (as in, more germophobic than anyone I've even met, including me, the nurse who has nightmares about carrying diseases under her fingernails.)& he would not let me CD if I didn't have the sprayer. At least when I use it, he knows I don't have poopy diapers hanging around in a basket, colonizing bacteria for 2 days.