Default Flying with a Pack n Play?

We want to take our PNP with us, and not have to rely on whatever the hotels have. Has anyone taken a PNP on the plane? How should we pack it so it doesn't get trashed? Or since we have to pay for checked bags, should we plan on picking up a cheap one at Target when we arrive? We're going to Target anyway to buy diapers.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We took ours and used the box it came in and after a while we put it in the cloth bag that came with it. The bag got a little dirty (not a lot) but we never had issues. I'd take it -- they are not super cheap to purchase.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We used the box ours came in also. Some airlines consider baby items a two-fer - in that a stroller, carseat or pack n play count for 1/2 an item. Call to check. Also, when we were flying and staying in a hotel for 2 nights and absolutely could not take anything more (NYC vicinity) we took our own PnP sheets (washed in our familiar detergent) plus a sleeping toy, and called the hotel in advance to ask for the brand name on the PnPs they had. I was still very grossed out, but brought Clorox wipes for wiping them down. (Thanks Bubbaray for that tip!) Is there any chance you could borrow one at your destination if you know anyone? The Target/WM ones are as low as $60 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Port...Dotty/10746139

But yeah...we fly with them if we need to.

I never flew with a PNP, but if you can get one for as low as $60 at Target or WalMart, I'd probably just pick one up there once you reach your destination. Checked bags are ~$25 each way, so you're looking at $50 to take it with you. Why not just pick up one there and then drop it off at a thrift store/donation station on your way to the airport?

You may want to call the hotel, some have actual mini cribs as opposed to PNP's. We used those quite a bit while travelling when DS was younger. I just brought my own travel crib sheets & Clorox wipes. Worked out well for us.
    Christie
    mommy to DS 08/07
    Riding in a Frontier 85, Boulevard, and True Fit

Thanks for the advice. I saw Target has a basic one for $44, so we might just go that route. We don't have the box anymore, or I would just do that. I'm nervous about just using the bag, because of the chance for them to damage it. And I checked with Delta and they said we would have to pay to check it ($30 each way).
    Last edited by mg1278; 07-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.

We flew with our P&P just in its cloth bag. It was fine. I even convinced the agent who checked us in that baby items shouldn't count as luggage, so she didn't make me pay a checked bag fee for it.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can you gate check a PNP to avoid the charge? I guess it might be easier to just buy one...don't forget your sheets though

When we flew last I did see a PNP come off the carousel and it looked fine...it was just in the storage bag.

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

We always fly with ours, with no problem. We use the bag that the PNP came with, and yes it will get a little dirty, but that's what it's there for. No rips though. It has never counted as an additional item, so we've never been charged. We've even checked in 2 suitcases with kids clothes and needs and have not been charged for them.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

ehf is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We've seen GROSS PNPs at different hotels--and brand new ones. i wouldn't count on the quality, no matter what the hotel says.

Have you looked at the Peapod? Seems like a possible solution. We're considering it.