ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Petunia Pickle Bottom Diaper Bags at Target!!

Just got back from Target and they had an endcap with PPB bags...said they were designed for Jessica Seinfeld's charity Baby Buggy. They were really cute...I may have to get the blue one. Here's a link that shows the pink one.
    http://www.babylayetteset.com/jessic...video-mov.html
    They were $49.99

I just saw them this morning as they were stocking them. They're really cute!
    SweetGirl - May 2009
    LittleGuy - Oct 2011

Stroller line-up - Micralite FF Superlite, Britax B-Ready with second seat, Chariot Cougar 2
    Oh, and a Graco Quattro Tour that I need to find to sell.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I looked today...nothing. But after I got home, I checked target.com and it said that my store has them in stock!

Any reviews yet? I see that they are made out of PVC.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am iffy about the material too...had kind of a fake leather feel, but they look really cute. I'm waiting to see some reviews. Here's the link to Target online.
    http://www.target.com/Petunia-Pickle...earchPage=1&rh=

Cute, but I'm not happy with the fact they are made out of PVC. The glazed Petunia bags are all PVC free so I'm surprised that they allowed PVC in the lower-end Target collection. I wonder if they've been tested for lead as well (lead is a stabilizer used in PVC production).

Good cause, great brand, but the PVC sort of ruins it for me. Horrible for the environment and PVC often contains lead. Yuck.
    Last edited by aajamu; 07-06-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Default PPB facebook response to PVC

The PVC issue was brought up on PPB's Facebook page dated July 12th in two discussions. I was concern, as well. Not sure how to post a direct link...

"yes we do want to clear up that these bags have gone through extensive testing and indeed these are Phthalate Free Bags. And this falls under Petunia Standards, Target Standards as well as Exceed California Prop 65 Standards for Lead and other toxins (which have set some of the highest standards). Phthalate's and Lead are the big issues with traditional PVC. We made sure that we were as far from them as possible. Thanks and sorry for the delay in the response. " July 12, 3:16pm

and this under the post alerting CafeMom featuring the new bags

"Petunia’s ethos centers on Quality, Design, Environment, Beauty, Function and Giving-Back as much as we can. This is why we love living, breathing and carrying Petunia. Therefore it’s rightfully a shock (for some) to see Target or PVC on Petunia’s Facebook.

We do want to clear up that these bags have gone through extensive testing and indeed are Phthalate Free Bags. And this falls under Petunia Standards, Target Standards as well as Exceed California Prop 65 Standards for Lead and other toxins (which have set some of the highest standards). Phthalate's and Lead are the big issues with traditional PVC. We made sure that we were as far from them as possible.

We knew we would have individuals that disagreed with us selling at Target as well as selling non-organic product; honestly we really struggled with this too. Our tipping point came with the lives we had the opportunity to affect. And even though we are helping to generate $300,000-$500,000 for these children and parents, it was still a huge struggle for us. However, it’s in our blood to give back and with this project, its price point, and where it was to be sold; we felt and still feel we delivered on our other core beliefs.

For some this bag will be a first Petunia, for others it will be a way to enjoy a new bag style from Petunia, but for all it will be a way to give back to a child in need. Thanks again for the responses and questions. It’s very nice to see everyone caring so much. "

July 12 at 3:40pm

Thank you for posting this. I'm glad at least the bags are lead-safe, but I do wish they were lead-free. And PVC free. Regardless of lead safety, the PVC manufacturing process is harmful to the environment - both the production and disposal of PVC releases mercury and dioxin into the environment. PVC production also requires large amounts of chlorine. Chlorine production in turn requires large amounts of electricity.

In any event, PVC is bad news, even if it is lead-safe. There are non-PVC coated canvas products available, also non-PVC faux leather. Yes, they are more expensive, but maybe instead of a full diaper bag, PPB could have offered a (less expensive to produce) simple diaper clutch to the Target line - sometimes smaller is better, especially if materials are better. Dipping so far below their regular bag environmental standards is a bit strange. Again, great cause, great company (I've loved all of my PPB bags), but I wish they could have offered a bag on par with their usual quality standards.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyJ View Post
    The PVC issue was brought up on PPB's Facebook page dated July 12th in two discussions. I was concern, as well. Not sure how to post a direct link...

"yes we do want to clear up that these bags have gone through extensive testing and indeed these are Phthalate Free Bags. And this falls under Petunia Standards, Target Standards as well as Exceed California Prop 65 Standards for Lead and other toxins (which have set some of the highest standards). Phthalate's and Lead are the big issues with traditional PVC. We made sure that we were as far from them as possible. Thanks and sorry for the delay in the response. " July 12, 3:16pm

and this under the post alerting CafeMom featuring the new bags

"Petunia’s ethos centers on Quality, Design, Environment, Beauty, Function and Giving-Back as much as we can. This is why we love living, breathing and carrying Petunia. Therefore it’s rightfully a shock (for some) to see Target or PVC on Petunia’s Facebook.

We do want to clear up that these bags have gone through extensive testing and indeed are Phthalate Free Bags. And this falls under Petunia Standards, Target Standards as well as Exceed California Prop 65 Standards for Lead and other toxins (which have set some of the highest standards). Phthalate's and Lead are the big issues with traditional PVC. We made sure that we were as far from them as possible.

We knew we would have individuals that disagreed with us selling at Target as well as selling non-organic product; honestly we really struggled with this too. Our tipping point came with the lives we had the opportunity to affect. And even though we are helping to generate $300,000-$500,000 for these children and parents, it was still a huge struggle for us. However, it’s in our blood to give back and with this project, its price point, and where it was to be sold; we felt and still feel we delivered on our other core beliefs.

For some this bag will be a first Petunia, for others it will be a way to enjoy a new bag style from Petunia, but for all it will be a way to give back to a child in need. Thanks again for the responses and questions. It’s very nice to see everyone caring so much. "

July 12 at 3:40pm

Quote Originally Posted by aajamu View Post
    Cute, but I'm not happy with the fact they are made out of PVC. The glazed Petunia bags are all PVC free so I'm surprised that they allowed PVC in the lower-end Target collection. I wonder if they've been tested for lead as well (lead is a stabilizer used in PVC production).

Good cause, great brand, but the PVC sort of ruins it for me. Horrible for the environment and PVC often contains lead. Yuck.
    It looked and felt cheesy because of the materials when I saw it. The PVC just looked and felt really cheap; like a Lexus with vinyl seats iywim. Really felt like a bag that should be selling for well under $20 not a bag selling for $50. Not something most people will waste time on I think.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I tried it because I need something bigger..... and it is WAY heavy!!! With all my stuff in it, it was entirely too heavy to try and carry every day along with B. It went back today!
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKath View Post
    It looked and felt cheesy because of the materials when I saw it. The PVC just looked and felt really cheap; like a Lexus with vinyl seats iywim. Really felt like a bag that should be selling for well under $20 not a bag selling for $50. Not something most people will waste time on I think.
    I know they had only XXX budget to spend, but seriously, I think it might have been a better idea to just stick with what they do best, but in smaller proportion. Or just had a special sale of discontinued product on their website, like they did for Haiti charitable causes. They've donated regular product to other charitable causes as well, and given away bags to women who could not otherwise afford the bags. Great stuff.

But in any event, I still think donating bag sales to a charitable cause is a good idea - but instead of buying the bag, I'm going to donate directly to the charity (Baby Buggy - you can donate here: https://app.etapestry.com/hosted/Bab...eDonation.html)