Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Healthy restaurant kid's menus?

Do they really exist? Does anyone make a kid's meal the does not include french fries?

Please, recomend your favorite.. or two!

The only one we're been able to find is at a local mexican place, I sure hope there are others out there.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can't find them everywhere, but if you can Jason's Deli is pretty good. Boston Market is decent too.

HTH!
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, lots.

* Red Robin
    * Chilis
    * Culvers
    * McD's offers apples
    * Cheesecake Factory brings kids bananas/grapes/wheat bread

These are the ones I frequent.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Skip the kids' menu and share a real menu item or order appetizer things instead.

I really prefer ethnic restaurants with little ones. Get a sampling of things to share. YOu know there are no fries either.

Beth

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Skip the kids' menu and share a real menu item or order appetizer things instead.

I really prefer ethnic restaurants with little ones. Get a sampling of things to share. YOu know there are no fries either.

Beth

/hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Also wanted to add that I much prefer local places to chains. I couldn't tell you, beyond Panera and Boston Market, what chain options are out there. Years since I went to them.

Beth

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the help. One of the very few disadvantages on this board is that no one seems to be from my area! A lot of east coast and california, with some wid-west... but I don't think I've ever noticed another person from Washington state. Maybe someone should do a poll!

In any case, half of the chains mentioned I've not heard of.

I do have a couple of local places that are OK; a local small chain (5) of mexican restaurants he loves. There's also a local buffet place we go to very occasionally (the visiting gransdparents love it, we tolerate it). Also a local italian place will do basicly whatever we want, and have to make up a price for it; they've always been very reasonable.

But... we're going to have to travel this fall; a seventeen hours (without stops) drive... I was hoping for something we could look for on a roadside sign and say "DS will be able to eat there!". We will, of course, pack some things, but we'll want to get out of the car sometimes, too!

Keep the ideas coming, please!

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I realize Washington is a big place, and I don't know your exact location, but there are about a million Red Robins there, and the kids menu is outstanding. Not only can you get any number of healthy (and unhealthy) options, but they'll do pretty much anything, even if it's not on the menu. Plus, the side items are almost entirely healthy
    Locations --> http://www.redrobin.com/map/default....ng=-122.241475

I'm really very pleased with the Chili's menu, which is seems very limited in Washington to only Spokane or Olympia --> http://www.chilis.com/EN/locations/P...ionsearch.aspx
    Your options in Vancouver and Oregon are almost nil, but there are a bunch in Boise. Not sure if that helps.

I also agree that with local places, just get an appetizer or make due with side items. See if they'll do a grilled cheese with tomato on it, or my guy likes a slice of ham or turkey. Do you have Potbelly's? Cannot go wrong there.

If you're stuck at the "unhealthy" chains, how about b'fast food? Eggs (not unhealthy), pancakes, etc.

Baked potato with stuff in it?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Red Robins is awesome. DS gets super excited when we go there because he gets mandrin oranges as his side there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Thanks for the help. One of the very few disadvantages on this board is that no one seems to be from my area! A lot of east coast and california, with some wid-west... but I don't think I've ever noticed another person from Washington state. Maybe someone should do a poll!

In any case, half of the chains mentioned I've not heard of.

But... we're going to have to travel this fall; a seventeen hours (without stops) drive... I was hoping for something we could look for on a roadside sign and say "DS will be able to eat there!". We will, of course, pack some things, but we'll want to get out of the car sometimes, too!

Keep the ideas coming, please!
    I hate chains, but when you're on the road you don't have much choice. Most of their kids meals are full of fat even if they don't come with fries (Btw, I've never eaten at Red Robin or Culvers so I don't know about them). I think getting appetizers is the way to go...you can get out of chicken nugget he!! that way.

I think Katie aka Kijp(?) is from Seattle, maybe she can help you out with Washington suggestions.

There are some good options at Baja Fresh, and el Pollo Loco, if your travels take you to California. Not necessarily kids meals though.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast