Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would find a gorgeous mirror that has the same wood stain as the table for the wall center and then put two floating shelf or wall ledge on the wall on either side. Then vases/flowers/decorative plates/plants could go along the shelf - especially a plant that had a trailing vine to hang over the edge of the shelf...

Hmmmm... must find pictures...
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    ooohhh, just got a neat idea from that...wouldn't it be neat to have pictures of family gatherings on the walls - just make them all B&W or sepia or something. Is that too far from traditional?
    B&W pics with white frames would be nice on that green wall! My wall is a medium, vibrant green, I think it was called irish moss. I had planned on stripping my table/chairs and staining them an espresso color, that was before I got sick. The shelves came in white too.

Or sepia with brown frames like the wood on her table, Hmmmm.

As for my wall, the shelf and frame won't fill the wall, but I'd find something to put on the sides. The had smaller shelves too I could have put staggered to each side. I could put things on there that were in my china cabinet, this dining room is way too small for it.

OP, your kitchen and dining room are absolutely gorgeous! I love all the colors!

Its really up to what is your taste as to what to put there, you know, what do you want to be looking at ?

Lots of great ideas, I have a huge iron piece I was going to put above our couch that is circular (has lots of little spaces to put in extra sheetrock screws so the boys couldn't move it), H never put it up either. Its sits in the garage with the shelf.

I just realized you could come and go thru my garage and find lots of great stuff!
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I Love your kitchen. Great lighting!
    Our kitchen set up is similar with the kitchen opening up to the kitchen table in front of a blank wall. I just hung a single big picture ( print of a painting).
    But in our formal dining room I got these wooden frames from ikea and stretched fabric over them. There are 3 we have up now. It was pretty cheap to do and it would be a great way to at least get something on your wall until you find a piece that you just love.

I also love the idea of several black and white pics of the kids eating!
    DD
    DS

I just made this for a big wall in my family room - it turned out great and it was very, very cheap!

http://chrisanderinkeith.blogspot.co...-wall-art.html
    Steph
    DD 8/03
    DS 4/06

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

How about a huge mirror with a beautiful frame?

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sdrew99 View Post
    I just made this for a big wall in my family room - it turned out great and it was very, very cheap!

love it! we have a couple of large blank walls that this would look great on. it seems easy enough, i might just be able to pull it off. hmmm . . . i wonder if i can make a similar one, but round?
    Last edited by salsah; 07-04-2010 at 12:12 AM.

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sdrew99 View Post

That is so cool!!! I think that would be perfect for the wall. I also love the ideas of B&W photos and the mirrors.

You guys have such great ideas.

First off, your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL.
    Secondly, we have a very similar layout with the same big wall by our table.

At first we put a big painting there and i just did not like it.
    Finally we ended up framing a bunch of photos in different sized frames and made a huge collage with them. we did it with pictures of our travels (africa, asia, europe & south america). we get lots of complements on it.

if you would like me to email you a pic, PM me your email address.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What about a bakers' rack back there? You could do something in wrought iron that matches your chandelier. If there's room on the sides you could put in some tall potted plants and/or some nice pictures in frames on the sides.

You know, a china hutch or sideboard or even a decorative, long sofa table would look BEAUTiFUL there although those ideas are a bit pricier.

Your kitchen looks so pretty, btw.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks so much. Unfortuanately there isn't enough room for extra furniture. It is just enough to have a table and chairs. That was one of the reasons why we knocked down the wall from the kitchen to the dining room. The dining room was just too small.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast