srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default QUICK, wdyd about fireworks noise?

I really dropped the ball here. We'll be at friends' for a large community fireworks display tonight, and I haven't purchased anything to help the boys with the noise.
    DS1 is sensitive to loud noises, but I don't think he'd keep cotton balls in (if that even helps?).

WDYD?

(I did a search but didn't find anything. If I missed a previous thread, SORRY.)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Any drugstore should have the squishy earplugs, or Lowes, etc. would have the 'earmuffs'. If you can get some, it can't hurt to have them in case it is really loud where you are.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I'd try for the drugstore earplugs.

Catherine

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Be prepared to have to leave. We went last night with a 4 year old who is sensitive about noise. Brought ear muffs but they didn't help. We were too close & they were too loud. Had to leave about 2 minutes in. I think earplugs would be better & try to be as far away as you can & still see.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you can't find the soft earplugs you might have an easier time finding the wax ones for swimming this time of year. Hope the noise doesn't bother him and you can enjoy the show--but I would be prepared to leave early just in case. The big shows are unbelievably loud, even far away
    K

THANK YOU!
    I did the squishies like you recommended. I couldn't find kid squishies, so I bought the womens ones. DH had to cut them in half to make them work.
    Luckily, the sound was ok from our distance, but both DSs actually got upset during the first one-right-after-another round. Thankfully, since we were at a friend's, DS1 could just go inside, which he wanted to do.

Note to self---really not going to be worth it to ever fight crowds to get a "good" close seat, at least for a few years.

DF's DD had the shooting range earmuffs. She said they weren't kids per se, but adjusted down well enough. Will definitely be picking those up sometime.

Thanks for everyone for the tips!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A bit late to this, but I do have a recommendation for the future. A couple months ago, I purchased these ear-muffs for my DD. She has quite a few noise sensitivities and these have helped immensely. Yesterday evening the neighbors set of a round of firecrackers just as I was in the house getting DD's earmuffs and she started screaming and running for the door. I was able to slap them on her head while the firecrackers were still going and she got a huge grin on her face. She wore them the entire evening while the fireworks were going off.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Those peltor noise blockers are what we have for ds for a variety of loud noises. He has outgrown using them now. But they were lifesavers between ages three and six for us.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by elliput View Post
    A bit late to this, but I do have a recommendation for the future. A couple months ago, I purchased these ear-muffs for my DD. She has quite a few noise sensitivities and these have helped immensely. Yesterday evening the neighbors set of a round of firecrackers just as I was in the house getting DD's earmuffs and she started screaming and running for the door. I was able to slap them on her head while the firecrackers were still going and she got a huge grin on her face. She wore them the entire evening while the fireworks were going off.
    Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Those peltor noise blockers are what we have for ds for a variety of loud noises. He has outgrown using them now. But they were lifesavers between ages three and six for us.

Catherine
    TY! TY! Will look for these!
    Curious--did you pay the $20 or find them for less?