View Poll Results: Do you shoot off your own fireworks?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I take proper precautions so I'm comfortable

22 21.78%
  • No, I think they're dangerous

44 43.56%
  • No, they are illegal where I live

27 26.73%
  • Obligatory other

8 7.92%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do you launch your own fireworks?

I'm a SoCal girl, so fireworks were illegal in most places. And I have a lot of relatives who are firefighters, so I have a healthy fear of them. But they also look fun when when my neighbors shoot them off. So, what about you guys? Poll coming!!

Happy Fourth everyone!!!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think they should be left to professionals. Too dangerous. Plus, I'd rather see a good display than the crappy things you can shoot off yourself.

Beth

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think they should be left to professionals. Too dangerous. Plus, I'd rather see a good display than the crappy things you can shoot off yourself.

Beth
    Plus the markup is so ridiculous I'm not willing to buy them. Also too many accidents. I like seeing them from a distance though.

I would if I had somewhere to fire them...and if they weren't so expensive!

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Plus the markup is so ridiculous I'm not willing to buy them. Also too many accidents. I like seeing them from a distance though.
    I had no idea they were expensive! When I was growing up people bought them in Tijuana. I'm thinking they were cheaper, and less safe.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have in the past and probably will in the future. We used to work at the airport that the city uses to shoot off their big show so in recent years we've gone to the hanger and watched it from the tarmac but this year DH is gone and DD is too young to enjoy them so I'm hanging out at home. When we move we'll probably do our own once DD is old enough to enjoy them.

My parents always did thier own and as did DH's family and we've never had an accident. I think if you're smart about it they can be done properly. People get drunk and do stupid things. A friend of mine's stepdad used to shoot bottle rockets out of his butt crack as a joke. In HS I had friends who had firework fight and would shoot them at each other or light them and throw them at another person. I'm sure there are incidents that have happened when people were using them properly but this is the sort of thing that I see on our news this time of yr.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did a little display tonight for the kids. We live in the city but somehow outside the city limits (strange zoning) so they are legal for us. It was fun
    K

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Some types of fireworks are legal here. In fact Dh discovered a store in a town 15 minutes away, so last and this year he bought less than $20 worth and we shoot them off after dinner. It takes about 15-20 minutes, and it's a fun show. The way we do it is, we set up a Superyard in front of the open garage door, and have chairs and a stroller set up. Dh shoots them off at the other end of the driveway, about 25/30 feet away. Before and after the girls throw snaps. This year Dora didn't like it so much and said she preferred snaps. So maybe next year we'll just buy $10 worth of snaps and call it a day, unless she changes her mind. We figure we'll keep doing this until all 3 girls are old enough for us to drive to Boston to hear the Pops orchestra and see their fireworks. Or we'll drive down to Philly and stay with the Ils. SIL's street always has a big party, and then they shoot off fireworks when it gets dark. It's great fun and mostly safe.
    Last edited by maestramommy; 07-04-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Well, most types are illegal here, but you just sign something that says you are using them to scare birds away from your fish hatchery or railroad - They are too expensive and DH and I feel like you may as well burn your money. We have done them in the past, but not for many years. Too much work, not enough enjoyment for me - not to mention the risk involved. I'd rather watch a display.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Until this year, DH and 3 other families went in together and spent too much money on a neighborhood fireworks display. The 3 husbands, then, would set it up and take precautions (special goggles, fire-retardant suits, etc.) and then light them off. DH LOVED to do it. I hated it. It worried me to death since they were lighting off some SERIOUSLY big fireworks.

Fortunately, there was a major disagreement last year about who paid what and so they aren't doing it this year. I'd rather stay in to avoid the bugs, anyway. (and yes, I know I'm a party pooper. )
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast