Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

my wisdom teeth experience was honestly less than positive

i have extremely low BP, so i wasn't a candidate for anesthesia...they just gave me laughing gas and numbed me up

i think being awake and hearing/feeling (pressure-wise) what they were doing, definitely contributed to the trauma...

also, mine were severely impacted. they did two at a time and i was bruised and swollen for a week or more. major swelling and my bruises ultimately faded into an awful yellow & green up and down the entire side of my face. it was ugly

AND it turns out i'm allergic to vicodin. lots of vomitting. not a good experience at all.

however, my siblings all had it done and were far less tormented than me. healed within a few days

agree with PP re: applesauce and carnation

good luck!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I got mine out YEARS ago under general anesthesia. I definitely needed a couple days to get the sedation/pain under control. My mom found me passed out by the kitchen counter when I tried to get to my pain meds by myself.

My husband had all 4 of his out just a few months ago. General anesthesia. He definitely needed a couple of days to just rest and sleep. He was very nauseaus and dizzy the first day and couldn't do much and my DH is not a baby - he still tries to pull his weight when sick. So he really didn't feel good. Day 2 was better but he still needed to rest. Afterwards, he was OK as long as he stayed on top of his pain meds. For him, eating was the biggest hassle cuz the guy just gets hungry and the soft diet just wasn't satisfying for him.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i had mine out when i was 17. i didn't have general anethesia, i was awake the whole time. made things easier for me i think. i felt pretty nauseaus the first day but the next day was ok, just had to take it easy. i think i had vicodin for the pain and at the time 1/2 a pill was enough to knock me out for a few hours.

i agree with PP that you definitely have to plan to take it easy for a few days. i had a friend in grad school that had to get hers out, and prior to the procedure she was asking me about how it was and i told her that you have to rest for a few days, eat light/bland foods etc. well a few hours after the procedure she was boasting "well, i feel great!! guess it wasn't as bad as your experience!!" and went to her usual workout at the gym. later that night i heard her puking several times in the bathroom and she was in bed for the next day. :S so yeah, definitely take a rest. if i had to do it now i would either make my DH take a day off work to help me or hire help for a few days.

eta: i''ve gone through labor and have given birth just once (labored naturally for ~20 hrs up to 7cm, then had epidural) and hands down, i'd get my wisdom teeth taken out than go through the pain of labor & recovery again. the pain of getting teeth taken out wasn't *that* bad, and recovery was 2-3 days max.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-05-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Just sending you hugs. (You don't want to hear my story, lol.)
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3