Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks, guys

i had been putting flax into his baked oatmeal, but did not think to add it into other foods

i will try that

he will not eat whole veggies period. no matter what dipping option i give. another story for another thread, i suppose

it's not the frequency that concerns me, as much as the fact that it's hard.

i will try to up his lentil/bean intake. in cooler months, we eat a lot of soups with beans, so perhaps that was helping without me realizing. with the blazing heat, i've been staying clear of making these. perhaps i need to start making soups again despite the heat.

he does drink a lot of water, so i'm not too worried about that contributing to the constipation. plus, the amount of watermelon he has been consuming is enough for him to float away on its own

thanks for the tips, i'm going to try a bunch of these starting today!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you tried probiotics? We started taking probiotics for yeast/thrush issues and found that it really helped with constipation. For DD2, we use Udo's Choice or Jarrow probiotics available in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods or similar markets.

As for vegetables, DD2 only likes the freeze dried ones from Fresh Market. They are crispy like a chip. It may be worth a try.

ETA: DS ate pureed prunes until he was 5. Whatever works!
    Last edited by Melbel; 07-05-2010 at 02:30 PM.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

good ideas! does anyone know if probiotics go bad?

i had bought some for him when he was an infant and he couldn't tolerate them b/c the brand had milk byproduct in it

it's been sitting in the fridge since

he's fine with dairy now, but are these too old?

they are in the fridge for about 13-14 months...
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

I would get a fresh jar. I think they are good for 1 year after opening.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

my friend's ped told her to mix in some Benefiber powder when her dd''s poops were too hard and they were worried about withholding. they just mixed it right into whatever she was eating-yogurt or whatever. it worked like a charm. Maybe check with your ped though.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I find Trader Joes Flax Plus cereal to be incredibly effective for everyone in the family. So effective that DH will only let me give DS a small amount of the "bullet train."
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Don't forget lots of water! And, if you're giving him pasta, make sure it is whole wheat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2