Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default recommend GPS for car?

we desperately need to get a new one. mil gave DH some $$$ for his birthday to get one. i'm not so concerned about saving every last penny but getting a deal on one would be nice. i guess our max would be $300 or so.

we currently have a Garmin gps, but it's from 2006 and while it was nice while in the beginning, it's getting to be more of an annoying piece of junk than anything else. it's very outdated, has a CRT screen (heavy & bulky) doesn't have 80% of the locations in my area, often falls off the dashboard, etc. also, since it's so old it sometimes sends us to an empty or deserted field..such a pain esp. when u have a fussy baby in the car. we could update our existing one, but it would cost $80 or something and we figured might as well just buy a new one. we go on roadtrips a lot and we need a decent gps system

ideally we want one that has following features

- has bluetooth, so database updates frequently
    - tells you what lane you have to be in
    - relatively easy to mount

i was searching on amazon and found this Garmin one (see link) which got good reviews and i think would suit our needs. but if anyone has other suggestions or of other places to get one from, i'm all ears. i'm not interested in doing eBay or getting a refurbished one to save $$, though getting a deal would be nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-765T-4-...349163&sr=8-11

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We also have a Garmin from 06 and were planning on updating the maps and make do with it but the one you linked to looks *really* nice.
    Costco has a couple for less including one with lifetime map updates http://www.costco.com/Common/Search....rch&lang=en-US
    Last edited by infomama; 07-05-2010 at 01:21 PM.

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    Wow, it's gotten a lot cheaper. I think that's what my mom has. Or in that range. Cept she paid a lot more a while ago. So yeah, that's what I recommend.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have an old Garmin as well. What has helped with falling off the windshield (it has a suction cup mount) is one of those dash mounts. I looked in overstock.com, which I think was where DH got it from, but could not find the exact one I have.

Costco has a selection of GPS, check that out if you have membership there.

Stefani.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

thx for the replies everyone. as for my old gps, we dp have a dash mount (bought it soon after we got the gps bc we lived in CA at the time which did not allow windshield mounts) and it still sucks (actually, it doesn't suck, that is the problem..lol). that's not the only issue though, it' pretty bad in terms of finding places. certain cities are notoriously bad. in san antonio for example it did not have my MILs address or my BILs address in there, and both of their houses have been there for over 40 years. and when we wanted to go to a Babies R Us there, it told us the wrong way. so it is pretty much useless in San Antonio for some odd reason (and we go there often to visit family). its also useless in our town bc everything is so new (it does not have our house or our local supermarket). before we always just made do with it, but when you are going on 5+ hr roadtrips with an infant, i'm not interested in "making do" anymore, i want something that works and makes our lives easier!

and codex..indeed, they have gotten waaay cheaper! i think our old gps was like $300 or something when we got it (though we only paid $150 or so due to rebates etc) and we thot we got a sweet deal then. now, it's probably not worth $20, it's just so obsolete. lol

as for Costco, that is a great idea. we are members and i do like their return policy (in case the item goes bad, we can return it, rather than dealing with hassle of online returns). they do have a few Garmins on there and now they are running a deal with a $40 rebate on one of them. may check that out.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-05-2010 at 01:50 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My vote: get a smartphone. They you will never have to worry about upgrading your GPS. As long as you upgrade your phone every so often, you're good to go.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

t still sucks (actually, it doesn't suck, that is the problem..lol)
    I do agree that it is probably time for you to get another GPS :-) but for the dash mount, mine is not the one with suction cups (suction cups just do not work well). So you may need to upgrade your dash mount as well if what you have is the suction cups version.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have one from Costco. Great, but it doesn't have turn by turns. Only about $160 right now from there. There may be a more expensive one, but I can't remember any details.

My mom might have that exact model (one a 755 or something very close). In any case, hers fits all your requirements.

We have this one in our personal vehicle as well as a few of our tow trucks. It has bluetooth and I haven't had it fall off the windshield yet!
    This is a good price too!
    http://electronics.hsn.com/garmin-nu...763641_xp.aspx

Try code C77647 for 15% off - new customers only

thx everyone! it seems like a Garmin Nuvi is the way to go...i i like the turn-by-turn directions and the lane navigation. we are going to head to costco and see if they have anything good in-store. it's hard to tell the difference between all the models though..there are so many!

as for the smartphone, i'd rather not buy another phone (got one less than a year ago)..plus it would be too hard to navigate while driving alone (i do that often nowadays, i take ds a ton of places during the day), and also i dont' want to have to subscribe to monthly fee. plus i want something specifically for the car... we only need a GPS in the car anyway. further my dh often needs to take the GPS on work trips in remote areas (he often has to drive 1-2 hrs at night in rental car from airport to hotel) and i wouldn't want to be without a phone for those days.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-05-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast