tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Diaper Backpack suggestions?

Hi everyone,
    I'm expecting my second in a month and my first is 18 months old. I've determined that I want a diaper backpack instead of a shoulder bag. Do you have recommendations or anything you recommend to steer clear of? I am a "just in case" kind of person, which means I like to pack everything in the bag, you know, just in case.

Thanks in advance!

They didn't make such a thing when I had small children so I just used a regular backpack (from Land's End I think). They are a lot cheaper, hold up just a well, hold the same things, and can be used after the diapering days are over. Having said that, LE does now make a backpack diaper bag and it's great quality and very functional. It also has a lifetime guarantee.

Beth

I love Jujube bags! I used to have a Skip Hop Dash with DS1 (messenger style bag) and then splurged on a JJB Packabe with DS2. LOVE it! I so adore that my hands can be free to deal with my kiddos or groceries or whatever while I have all my stuff securely on my back. I can stuff quite a bit into my Packabe, but you mentioned you're not a light packer and since your kiddos are so close in age, I would go with a BeRightBack. It is more padded and has more compartments for better organization. I was worried with a backpack style diaper bag that it would strain my shoulders, especially with all the stuff that I carry, but I've found that hasn't been the case for me yet.

Definitely give JJB bags a look. They are pricey, but worth the splurge for me. (I didn't buy anything else new for my second child.) You can also go to their Pink Room (http://www.ju-ju-be.com/PinkRoom2/) and buy gently used bags at a great price.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Skip Hop via Backpack and LOVE it. I love the organization it provides. It has room for my stuff, baby's stuff, and my older child's stuff when needed (she's 4, and I take sippy, snacks for her). It's comfortable, and you really can't beat the stroller clips on Skip Hop bags.

I originally had a Dash Deluxe and wanted a backpack as well. I went for a backpack from BRU. I used it for less than 2 weeks and was thoroughly disappointed. I missed the pockets of my Dash. So I bought the Skip Hop. Haven't looked back since.

When I have both kids I take the backpack. When my older one is in summer camp, or preschool this fall, I take my Dash.

I looked at Ju Ju Be bags, and just found them to be too heavy, even when empty. Cute patterns though.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ju-ju-be. either the packabe like pp mentioned, or the be right back, if you want a bigger one. the bff is also a backpack.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have the Lands End diaper bag backpack. I have liked it so far. It's pretty spacious but not too big. I have 2 comments about it...#1 my husband HATES it because he says it has too many pockets and he can't ever find anything in it (I disagree but then again I pack it so I know where things are). #2 Some other diaper bag backpacks (baby Sherpa think?) have cooler compartments and the LE does not. So far this hasnt been a big deal to me...for the price (I got it on sale for $30 plus ship) it has been great.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm a big fan of JJB as well. The Packabe isn't very comfy to wear though, IMO. Their other backpack, the Be Right Back, is a lot more comfortable to wear. The Packabe is like one big open space inside with a few pockets/compartments, whereas the Be Right Back is very compartmentalized. I'd suggest trying to find a retailer to look at them first, and try them on.

I just got a Dakine backpack. My kids are a little older, but I've used it once already and it works very well. They have so many different styles too. Honestly, as long as the backpack is comfy to wear and has some pockets for bottles/sippies, you could really use any backpack. Just get some JJB Be Quicks or other organizer bags for the inside.