Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Selling old CDs

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would try CL for a bit and if they didn't sell I would donate them to the library.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    You can take them to a used music or used book store like Edward mckays, but I wouldn't expect to get much from anywhere for music that old, not to mention most people use mp3s now...good luck!
    We just, like in May, got a car that plays mp3 player stuff. We don't own a player though . But, don't most people have cars that have CD players? We listen to music all the time in the car and I can't imagine not having CDs to play.

I'm just surprised that more than one person said most people use mp3s now. I do know a couple people with ipods, but only a few IRL. Most of my friends don't and none of my family over the age of 20 do.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We just, like in May, got a car that plays mp3 player stuff. We don't own a player though . But, don't most people have cars that have CD players? We listen to music all the time in the car and I can't imagine not having CDs to play.

I'm just surprised that more than one person said most people use mp3s now. I do know a couple people with ipods, but only a few IRL. Most of my friends don't and none of my family over the age of 20 do.

Opposite here! I have trouble thinking of any of my friends that dont have some form of iphone or ipod etc. My hubby does listen to CDs in the car because he doesnt have a AUX Jack in his car. Just in my experience trying to sell CDs at used places they never offerred much or would only take certain ones because they had too many of certain ones or others werent as popular. Maybe my music is just crappy ;-)
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

Ummm, I still have a cassette player in my car that gets a ton of use! The rest is cds. No mp3 player in sight at my house (I still have vhs tapes that I watch also!)

Thanks for that second spin site, I may use it also!

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you have a CD exchange place near you? (sort of like a play it again sports store). DH gets used CD's from them for $4. We have yet to sell any of ours so I don't know what they pay per CD. I would imagine though, that other than giving them away, a used CD place would be the only place you would get a decent amount for them.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Princeton Record Exchange has an online "sell" spot as well:

http://www.princetonrecordexchange.com/sell.html
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Given the things I have seen people go through losing their mp3 music collections (yes, even when they thought they were backing up), I still have a lot of CDs and will for a long time. But then again, we also have a lot of vinyl records and even buy some new music on vinyl. Most of our friends who are seriously into music do as well- there's still something to be said for the liner notes, the item in your hands etc. This is my long winded way of saying that there is indeed a market for used CDs. They won't fetch a lot, and selling to a site or a store is likely the only way to get them all to go at once. But you should be able to get a couple of bucks each depending on the titles.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I say donate them and save yourself the headache. I recently took some fiction books to half price books and they are fairly recent book, I got $5 for 20+ books and had to wait 30 minutes in the store, just not worth it.

I've used half.com, which is part of ebay
    I like half.com because there is no listing fee and it can just "sit" there
    Though that may be too much work to post 100 CDs, but I find it easy to post and isn't too time consuming at all.

I've never tried secondspin & princeton exchange. I'll check those out next time I have CDs to sell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2