Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Failed 1hr Glucose Screen!

Hi there!

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my 2nd DS. With my first pregnancy, I passed the 1 hour screen with no problems. I just found out today that I failed the 1 hour screen this time.

I know that most folks typically are cleared after the 3 hour screen. I'm really not looking forward to doing the 3 hour screen since I get woozy with the 1 hour screens and am generally not great when having blood drawn. (whine, whine - I know!)

Any words of wisdom? Thoughts on preparing for the 3 hour screen? I don't think I currently eat terribly... but I will admit that I am not on my "A" game like I was with my first pregnancy - very stressful job right now, etc. etc.

Thanks!

Hugs.

I failed my 1 hr as well but passed my 3 hr.
    I will say that I was a wreck when I heard I failed the 1 hr.

The best thing I can say is try to bring someone with you for the 3 hr that can keep you distracted and make you laugh and take your mind off drinking that yucky stuff and worry about the test results.

Hugs.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

do a search for glucose test here - a few of us posted similar posts recently. i also failed the 1 hr test but then passed the 3 hr test by a mile! i guess there are a lot of false positives on the test.

make sure you have a snack ready to eat after your 3 hr test and a ride home. i was starving after the test!!! dont stress out about it and GL!

for Sandy Hook

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Only thing I can add is to make that a protein snack, as per my midwife's advice. Helped me with the woozy, icky feeling after my 1 hour tests. Good luck!

Wow, this brings back memories!

As far as the test goes…Take some good reading or company with you! Do you know if they’ll test you hourly(fasting/1 hr/2 hr/3 hr) after the disgusting drink? That’s what I had to do, so I couldn’t really go anywhere while I waited. They let me drink water, thankfully. Take a balanced snack (protein/carb) to eat when you are finished and plan on a delicious meal afterward! It makes the process a little more bearable. I felt so loopy afterward, I had my dad drive me to the restaurant (DH had just started a new job, couldn’t be at the appt). AND just because you failed the 1hr doesn’t mean you’ll fail the 3 hr!

Last summer I had a similar situation! I failed the 3 hr test at 14 weeks. But, I had a high risk pregnancy (age, higher beginning weight, family history of diabetes, some uterine bleeding) and OB had me do the test after an elevated sugar in my urine. I was scared…didn’t think my eating choices were out of control…and I learned that they weren’t. The placenta was just doing its job protecting the fetus, making my body respond to any kind of carbohydrate in a wonky way. And boy did it go wonky for me!! But that can be another time if necessary

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!!

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't even know what they do for the 3 hour screen. I am usually hypoglycemic. I must be one of the only weirdos who tests under the norm.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Try not to panic. If you search the Lounge you'll probably find my post with the same title! Just like you I passed the 1 hour and failed the one hour with DD2. Oddly enough we were overseas when I was pregnant with DD1 and they had me do a 3 hour test anyway. I passed but it was so icky. The glucose makes me vomit *every* time.

Most recently, for the second test they actually had me take home a blood glucose meter and test my blood three times a day, *exactly* two hours after each meal. I came back the next day and it was fine. Every time I went back for a check up they tested it again. Every time it was well within normal.

THere is a current trend that the traditional tests aren't very healthy period, and especially during pregnancy, and that they aren't as accurate as they could be. I didn't love poking myself for the blood test but I HATED the 3 hour test. It might be worth your while to discuss testing options with your OB.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

I know how you feel because I have BTDT.

I went alone to the 3 hour test. They drew blood, gave me the drink, and drew blood again. After that second blood test, I really felt like I was going to pass out. DH came and brought me a pillow. They allowed me to go out to my car- I put back the seat and just closed my eyes until the feeling passed. I thought it would get worse each time they drew blood, but I actually started feeling better! I had a laptop with me and there was WIFI so I just sat in the car and went online...

I dont know if youre experience will be anything like mine, but Iecommend bringing a pillow and a book just in case!

Best of luck!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    Try not to panic. If you search the Lounge you'll probably find my post with the same title! Just like you I passed the 1 hour and failed the one hour with DD2. Oddly enough we were overseas when I was pregnant with DD1 and they had me do a 3 hour test anyway. I passed but it was so icky. The glucose makes me vomit *every* time.
    There is a NIH study about using jelly beans instead of glucola for the glucose test. My Dr was totally cool when I asked about it (as long as I brought in a copy of the study). The whole office thought I was hilarious. They kept referring to my 'jelly bean test'.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    There is a NIH study about using jelly beans instead of glucola for the glucose test. My Dr was totally cool when I asked about it (as long as I brought in a copy of the study). The whole office thought I was hilarious. They kept referring to my 'jelly bean test'.
    A friend of mine also used a high-carb breakfast for her 1 hour screen.

IDK where she got the research, but I may ask for something like that for my next kid because I nearly puked up the glucola for my initial 1 hour screen (9 weeks; started pgcy overweight) ... and just hated it the 2nd 1 hour screen (28 wks) ... I lucked out and passed both screens, but, for someone who cannot STAND orange soda, the orange flavor glucola (that tasted of sugar and dye - and WHY must it have DYE in it?) was THE worst.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast