Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Chicago hotels for families

I've found a few "family friendly" hotels with some basic searching so far but I was wondering if anyone had any other good recommendations. Anyone stayed in Chicago lately?

fivi2 was kind enough to direct me to this prior post that contained a glowing recommendation by egoldber, but the only reasonable rates for suites at the Seneca currently are non-refundable, and that makes me a bit nervous.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...hlight=chicago

So then I tried Time Out Chicago and of course saw some fabulous new or newly renovated hotels that I may check out for the heck of it (you never know!), but I think we might end up opting for more of a suite (but not so fancy) kind of thing so that the kids can have a separate sleeping area.

Here's what I've come across so far:

(Suite)
    Hampton Inn & Suites
    Best Western River North
    City Suites Hotel
    Seneca

(Sweet!)
    The Elysian (in my dreams)
    Palmer House Hilton
    Hotel Felix
    DD
    DS

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have also stayed at this Hilton Suites which is right around the corner from the Seneca:

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...inois/index.do

It's perfectly nice and an excellent location, although not as charming as the Seneca.

I have also stayed at this Embassy Suites, which is nowhere near as convenient a location, but is a perfectly fine hotel with all that any ES has to offer.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...G20OCSGBIUMVCQ

When we did the Seneca, we did a non-refundable with only about 2 weeks notice and that worked well for us.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Thank you!
    Maybe I can make a cancelable reservation somewhere else now, and then try and hold out for the Seneca. Our trip is not for several weeks yet, and we don't have airfare set or anything so it doesn't make sense to go non-cancelable quite yet. But there is a huge difference in their rates going that route!

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I have also stayed at this Hilton Suites which is right around the corner from the Seneca:

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...inois/index.do

It's perfectly nice and an excellent location, although not as charming as the Seneca.

I have also stayed at this Embassy Suites, which is nowhere near as convenient a location, but is a perfectly fine hotel with all that any ES has to offer.

When we did the Seneca, we did a non-refundable with only about 2 weeks notice and that worked well for us.
    DD
    DS

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our trip to Chicago is not until next month, so I can't vouch firsthand for any hotels, but here is what I have discovered from my recent research;

Omni Hotel - currently has a great deal going on where the 4th night is free. I'm not sure how long you are going for, but if you plan to stay long enough it could be a good option. The hotel gets great reviews and is supposedly in a good location but the suites are small - 400sqft. It won't work for us with 4 kids, but could be an option for just 2 kids.

Hampton Inn & Suites - Good rates, but the hotel is supposedly across the street from a firehouse and it can get really noisy at night. I originally booked there but have canceled that reservation after reading multiple reviews mentioning lots of sirens all night.

Homewood Suites Downtown/Lakefront - The hotel gets great reviews for c/s and is supposedly very family friendly. I got a AAA rate of $197/night, which is the lowest I have found for a suite that is large enough and has a full wall separating the bedroom from the LR area. It is supposedly clean and well maintained but wallpaper is a bit dated looking. This is where we are currently booked and hoping it is fine, but I am still searching to see if any prices go down as it gets closer to the trip.

HTH
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have stayed here:

Great family hotel in an awesome location - right by Navy Pier and the riverwalk, close to Millenium Park and Michigan Ave, the best movie theater in the city is in that building, there is a huge grocery store accross the street (with a Starbucks ) and a Walgreens on the same block.

My suite was huuuge and I think we paid around $180 a night.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Two years ago we stayed at Homewood suites and plan to stay there again when we go next week. The rooms were very nice & comfortable, and there seemed to be a lot of families there. One big bonus - dinner is free Tuesday through Friday (I believe those are the evenings). It's a buffet with pretty basic food - nothing fancy and not out-of-this-world tasty, but it's kid friendly food and it's free which means we can splurge at lunch. It's also at the end of Miracle Mile so if shopping is a goal it's a good location. If you're more into Navy Pier and the museum it's a bit of a hike. The rooms were big enough for five of us (four adults & one kid) with a completely separate living area with fold out couch. One possible drawback - the bathroom entry is only through the bedroom.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hlphillips2 View Post
    Two years ago we stayed at Homewood suites and plan to stay there again when we go next week. The rooms were very nice & comfortable, and there seemed to be a lot of families there. One big bonus - dinner is free Tuesday through Friday (I believe those are the evenings). It's a buffet with pretty basic food - nothing fancy and not out-of-this-world tasty, but it's kid friendly food and it's free which means we can splurge at lunch. It's also at the end of Miracle Mile so if shopping is a goal it's a good location. If you're more into Navy Pier and the museum it's a bit of a hike. The rooms were big enough for five of us (four adults & one kid) with a completely separate living area with fold out couch. One possible drawback - the bathroom entry is only through the bedroom.
    I am glad to hear that you were happy with the hotel. Yes, we know that the location is not as great as some of the other places but we are ok with some walking and using PT to get around. It was the best compromise for us to get a larger suite and not spend a fortune but still be in the downtown area. I am still scoping out prices on Embassy Suites as that is a better location. If I can find a deal there closer to our departure date, then I will switch.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Thanks again everyone. I am thinking either Embassy Suites or Seneca now, depending on a few things. But I also still need to look into the Omni and Homewood. Hope everyone's upcoming trips are fantastic. I have never been to Chicago and am really looking forward to it.
    DD
    DS

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I live in Chi and either Embassy Suites is in a fine location for kids. Each has different benefits in terms of location, but equally good. The one at River East, where the movie theaters are, affords awesome lake access. That one is also newer. There is a bowling alley and PJ Clarkes right in the building, Dean and DeLuca nearby, as well as a grocery store (either Jewel or Dominicks, I can't remember).

The other Embassy is near a ton of kid friendly restaurants.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It's a Dominick's. I used to live in the building that is connected to the ES.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast