Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default When did you cloth diapered LO potty train?

I've always heard that children who are cloth diapered have an easier time potty training and even do it ealier than children who wore disposables. Have you actually experienced this?
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am SO curious too...it makes sense that you would hear more about this "positive" aspect to CDing. In fact, it one one reason (not the biggest one though) that we started out CDing.

But now I'm in the "PTing is a developmental milestone" camp...and I don't necessarily believe that kids in cloth PT earlier. I would need to see a prospective, randomized trial with statistically significant results in order to believe it.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We CD, and DS was just potty trained, he's turning 2 1/2 next week. I know we could've tried it earlier, but I put it off for a while since we had a big international move and then stayed at my parents' until we moved into our apartment... so I wanted to have more stability. So he was PTed at 29 months, although he showed signs earlier.

The first 2 days of PT were hell, but he was very aware of getting wet and he got very stressed over it. And then once he finally peed in the potty he got it and even though he sometimes didn't make it in time, he hardly has accidents, and he tells me when he needs to go. I only have ot remind him when we're at playdates or other placer where he's very distracted.

I intended to keep him in diapers at night, but he won't hear of it, even if wearing a diaper he'll call out in the middle of the night to be taken to the potty. I'm not exactly thrilled about that part

I don't know how much the CD helped, but I do think that not using pull-ups is a big thing. We only use training pants, so he's very aware of accidents.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 07-09-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot to add his age

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it depends on the kid.

My mother alleges I PT'd myself at 6 months, while my brother Joe was content to sit in his own mess for a long while ... and all 4 of us were CD babies!

That said, old-school CD's feel wet, which is unpleasant so there's a bigger sense of the dryness goal; IDK about the new ones. People talk about wicking and so on when they talk new CD's so I would expect that they don't feel as wet as old-school CD's on a kid's bum?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post

That said, old-school CD's feel wet, which is unpleasant so there's a bigger sense of the dryness goal; IDK about the new ones. People talk about wicking and so on when they talk new CD's so I would expect that they don't feel as wet as old-school CD's on a kid's bum?
    They definitely feel more dry than pre-folds. We used organic cotton CD's with DS at first, but he got terrible rashes because of the moisture even with requent changes, so we switched to pockets and AIO's with fleece or microsuede linings that pull the moisture away from his skin. They don't feel as dry as a disposable, but a they feel a lot drier than cotton.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have never CDed, so I can't say for sure. But I don't think it would make a bit of difference with my kids. Neither one ever seems to mind being wet (when I put them in underwear with plastic pants). Well, DS has been trained for a couple of years now, but it was the same (worse, really) for him. I thought it was because he has sensory issues, but DD is doing the same thing, and she doesn't have those issues. She will be 2 1/2 in a couple of weeks. She knows how to use the potty and will produce when sitting on it. Sometimes she even will ask to go. But she still goes in between trips to the potty, too.

The few times I have tried putting her in underwear, she just sat in wet underwear until I happened to check.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1 was in prefolds until he potty trained. He was fully done at 2 years 9 months or so.

DD was in prefolds until she would flood them with one pee. Then she was in Pullups. She was in Pullups for about a year when she potty trained at 2 years 10 months.

So, IME, it really doesn't matter .
    Kris

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS was CD'd in prefolds (so he always felt when he was wet) and was fully potty trained (day and night) by 25 months old. It took ~2 weeks to fully train him (i.e., we could leave the house without diapers and he didn't pee at night either) and he was showing all the readiness signs when we started.

DD is almost 18 months and she goes potty about twice a day - every morning (and many times her night diaper is dry when we put her on the potty) and after her naps. I anticipate her being pt'd at age 2 as well since DS was doing similar things at her age.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oddly enought my CD boy took longer. He was 2 1/2.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

cath_b is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I use disposables with DS and he was fully potty trained at 2 1/2. Never had to purchase night time diapers either. I guess it depends on the child's readiness. It was frustrating for a while there.
    Mom to sweet jester DS (9/07) and fiesty little diva DD (9/09)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast