Default 10 hours of sleep in 24 hour period

Anyone else have/had a child who sleep VERY little total hours. My 6 week old is sleeping less and less and only gives me one 2 hour stretch at night. The rest are 30 min to 1 hour. The worse it gets the crankier she gets. We do everything from feeding, rocking, swaddling, the "bounce" dance and it just gets harder and harder for her to fall alseep. 10 hours is not a lot compared to the "norm" range for infants. If she is not at the breast, or bouncing with me she cries. When she wakes she is only happy after feeding for about 10 min before she gets cranky and needs to be put to sleep which is sometimes impossible. Just want to know if anyone has had the same experience. My first was the same way and it didn't get better until month 5.

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, my youngest was like that and it's hard. Have you tried putting her in a swing to sleep? Mine would sometimes sleep in a swing that went side to side instead of front to back. Also, you could try a baby carrier, like a Moby wrap, so you could wear her down to sleep. The other thing that used to work for me was to put him in the car, drive until he fell asleep, and then transfer him to the crib, or leave him in the infant seat for a while.

Another thought...could she have reflux? That could be why she has a hard time sleeping/gets cranky after she eats, and you could ask your ped about that.

It's hard when they're so little, but hang in there!
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My first was like that. It is hard. Have you tried babywearing? It's not that fun in this heat, but using a Moby at that age it really helped me get through DD's newborn stage.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5