Default Disappointed - No Information on Down syndrome

I have looked in the Baby 411 3rd Edition glossary, index and flipped through pages and found zero information on Down syndrome! How disappointing! Autism - several listings, Cystic Fibrosis - covered briefly but NOTHING on DS? Seriously? At the very least - a footnote with a lead to some other resources would be helpful!

I just received the pre-natal diagnoses and am trying to find out information from the books that I bought when I was pregnant with my first child! I know that there are SO many conditions and disorders, etc. that you can't list EVERYTHING known to mankind but something as common as DS? Really, nothing?

I know that it is too late for the 4th Edition but perhaps #5 could mention something!

Thanks.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This was totally not the point of your post, but ... I recommend you check out the Downs Syndrome Association. They are fabulous people, SO positive, and they have local branches everywhere.

My child doesn't have Downs but I've encountered this group through my work in disability advocacy.

Good luck with your expecting - your baby will amaze you!!!

Thanks for reading our book, BABY 411.

Good point: we will add something in on this for the next edition. FYI: We do have extensive discussion of Down Syndrome in Expecting 411, our pregnancy book.

For the baby book, we do have limited space to discuss developmental issues. Autism affects 1 in 90 births; Down syndrome is 1 in 700. I realize that probably doesn't make you feel any better, but that was what drove the editorial decision.

Nonetheless, we probably should briefly address this and provide resources for moms and dads who need more info.

Thanks again,
    Alan & Denise Fields
    authors