Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flip Baby!

ebjw is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Flip Baby!

I'm 34 weeks and starting to get nervous that baby won't flip over! She is but down and has been like that at least since my 20 week ultrasound. Doctor said they don't do that manuver anymore where they flip the baby by manipulating my abdomen. They say 95% of babies will still flip on there own. Any tips to convince her to go head down? Tried and true techniques?

While I was in labor they flipped TT. Don't worry. Of course that is easier said than done.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is just not true. ECV (external cephalic version) is done all the time, but not usually until the 9th month. There are supposed to be some positions to lie in to prod baby to move. Did you ask your doctor why they won't consider turning your baby if it's still breech in the 9th month (they don't usually do it when you are in labor though)? It sounds silly, considering that it is an automatic c/s (unless you are planning to deliver at home with a midwife) in most places if baby is breech.

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD was breech (transverse) the entire pregnancy and never flipped (she was a big baby). I needed a c-section (scheduled). It wasn't bad at all. I recovered in no time.

My doctor too said she would never recommend external flipping. She knew of another doctor who tried it and the patient's baby died from it. It many times causes the cord to disconnect from the uterus. She didn't give me any techniques. If the baby wants to or can flip, it will. She said mother nature put the baby like that and sometimes it is best to leave it.

The safety of my baby was the most important thing. It was not a big deal that she was born breech from a c-section. She is perfectly healthy.

I wish you all the best, but try not to stress too much about it.

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's true that there is plenty of time for your baby to flip.

I didn't realize there was such controversy about external version. My doctor told me once weeks ago that he flipped three in one week. It seems to be pretty common.

You can go to spinningbabies.com to see how to flip your baby yourself by using positions yourself.

I recommend going to yoga, and spending a bit of time on hands and knees etc. Check out that website anyway. Try to keep your butt over your knees and don't lay on the couch. There is a lot more info on the website.

I took a class on pelvic alignment in pregnancy for optimal birth and really felt that it helped my baby get in an optimal position.

Good luck, and definitely don't worry.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Quote Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
    My DD was breech (transverse) the entire pregnancy and never flipped (she was a big baby). I needed a c-section (scheduled). It wasn't bad at all. I recovered in no time.

My doctor too said she would never recommend external flipping. She knew of another doctor who tried it and the patient's baby died from it. It many times causes the cord to disconnect from the uterus. She didn't give me any techniques. If the baby wants to or can flip, it will. She said mother nature put the baby like that and sometimes it is best to leave it.

The safety of my baby was the most important thing. It was not a big deal that she was born breech from a c-section. She is perfectly healthy.

I wish you all the best, but try not to stress too much about it.
    Did mother nature also leave blueprints for c-sections? I would agree with you if your doctor also did vaginal breech deliveries. If not, I would be really wary. The c-section isn't so bad if you don't mind major abdominal surgery, but when you have 3-4 of them, they become more complicated each time. Look up placenta placenta accreta, increta & percreta. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1128.asp It can be a complication of multiple c-sections. The first one is a cinch, all your anatomy is where it is supposed to be. There are no scars to worry about or adhesions or other problems. The irresponsibility of some OBs who think c-sections are no big deal is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    Did mother nature also leave blueprints for c-sections? I would agree with you if your doctor also did vaginal breech deliveries. If not, I would be really wary. The c-section isn't so bad if you don't mind major abdominal surgery, but when you have 3-4 of them, they become more complicated each time. Look up placenta placenta accreta, increta & percreta. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1128.asp It can be a complication of multiple c-sections. The first one is a cinch, all your anatomy is where it is supposed to be. There are no scars to worry about or adhesions or other problems. The irresponsibility of some OBs who think c-sections are no big deal is mind boggling.
    My daughter was too big to flip, but I wouldn't have chanced it. I don't think a c-section is no big deal, but the position my child was in would have meant certain death for her if a vaginal delivery was attempted. She was stuck sideways and could never have come out the natural way.

All i know is that I have a healthy girl that I would not have had without a c-section. Without my c-section, I probably would not be here now either. So yes, mother nature did leave blueprints for a c-section, as many lives are saved because of this surgery.

Every case is different, but I do know that forced flipping has some big risks and many doctors opt not to perfom it.
    Last edited by llama8; 06-27-2010 at 02:34 PM.

I'm not a big fan of c-sections for breech, so...

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of c-sections for breech, so...
    Big fan or not, the c-section is the only way my daughter is here alive. I know this for a fact. I would have done anything to make sure my baby was healthy. Not all breech warrent a c-section, but mine did. Therefore, I am eternally grateful for mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
    Big fan or not, the c-section is the only way my daughter is here alive. I know this for a fact. I would have done anything to make sure my baby was healthy. Not all breech warrent a c-section, but mine did. Therefore, I am eternally grateful for mine!!!
    What kind of breech? There are several kinds. Footling, frank, complete. Some cannot be delivered normally, but most can.

Also if you worked in L & D & see the stupid reasons some OBs come up with for sections (and the parents hero who worship the Dr because he/she 'saved' their baby), you would feel like I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast