Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need green recommendation for ant problem

Hi. We have had an ant problem for awhile that we were dealing with by trying to keep house crumb-free and just squish the ones we see. Well, today, there were dozens of ants. I do not want to use harmful chemicals but do need some sort of spray. What have you used that is non-toxic to humans?

Thanks for any advice.

Michelle

let73 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Not sure how "green" it is but we used Terro ant killer. They are pre filled liquid ant baits in little plastic containers. It definitely works. When you set them out you will see TONS of ants coming out. Basically, they will bring the bait back to the nest and it kills them off. The ants were gone in a few days and have not returned. I'm looking at the ingredients and it says 5% Borax and 95% "other" ingredients(maybe the liquid).
    DD 12/05

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

When we had ants a few years ago, I tried all the spices and other natural things. No go. The only thing that worked was Terro. I'd go straight to Terro every time now! It works, and fast.

Default Where to buy Terro?

I have never heard of this product. Thanks for replies. Any other product recommendations?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I tried flour, bay leaves, leaving the lights on all night (messes with their rhythms), vinegar and others to not much avail. The Terro, available at almost every drugstrore, Target, and home improvement store, is amazingly effective. The flour wasn't terrible and it slowed them down. They got crafty and found ways around my flour line but their numbers were reduced. I just sprinkled flour around where they were coming in.

Beth

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I do think it matters what type of ants. I have no earthly idea what we had. But the vinegar, dish soap, chili pepper powder, bay leaves, baby powder, flour, etc did not touch them. It is worth a shot though, since you probably have all that on hand.....

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Isn't borax used to kill ants???
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Ants won't cross lines of certain things. If you can tell where they are coming in, put a line of dish soap surrounding that whole area and that works for us every time. It also prevents the scouts from getting back out to the nest.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Terro is Borax, just conveniently made for traps. bait.

Beth

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by let73 View Post
    Not sure how "green" it is but we used Terro ant killer. They are pre filled liquid ant baits in little plastic containers. It definitely works. When you set them out you will see TONS of ants coming out. Basically, they will bring the bait back to the nest and it kills them off. The ants were gone in a few days and have not returned. I'm looking at the ingredients and it says 5% Borax and 95% "other" ingredients(maybe the liquid).
    This does not seem to work for fire ants. Any suggestions for fire ants?
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast