Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Shopping cart safety

Is there a safe way to put a baby that's too big for an infant seat in a shopping cart? I hate the idea of putting him in the "seat" portion, I've seen so, so many kids fall. But he's getting so big now, babywearing or stroller and shopping cart just isn't working anymore.
    What works best, quite frankly, is leaving him home with Dad! But any good suggestions for when we can't do that?

(DS is 17 months and 28 pounds)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The seat is definitely safer than the basket-- just make sure you strap him in. DD is 23 months and I still strap her into her seat.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Always prefer the seat with a strap to the basket. Also I really liked the Floppy seat way more than I thought I would because kids can't wiggle around as much.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Babywearing or strapped in the shopping cart seat. I think most falls are b/c the kids are not strapped in. More than 50% of kids I see are not buckled in.

Beth

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Always prefer the seat with a strap to the basket. Also I really liked the Floppy seat way more than I thought I would because kids can't wiggle around as much.
    Liked the floppy seat for that age.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

my ds was 4.5mo and abt 18 lbs when he grew out of his infant seat, and at the point could not physically sit up in a shopping cart seat, so my only choice when out grocery shopping alone was to wear him. Pikkolo was great for that. now he's 6 mo and about 20 or so pounds, and i'vebeen able to put him in some shopping cart seats (not all bc the seat backs don't go up as high and dont' give as much support). i don't see how it's that unsafe, if the child is strapped in properly and can sit up well. especially if you have those inserts that help the child sit securely and give a bit of cushion.

if u really feel uncomfortable abt putting them in the seat part, i would just wear baby on your back.

i agree probably most kids who fall out are probably not strapped in tight enough and wriggle out, and or they're just placed on the seat part in an infant seat (i've seen people just place infant seats on the seat parts of shopping carts without the carseat even being "locked-in" to the seat,so carseat is actually rocking a bit it's moving around so much..now *that* gives me the chills!!)
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.