Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Anyone NOT get a pump?

Poor DH is beginning to wonder how EBF is any cheaper than formula (even though he's highly in favor of it for convenience/health benefits) when everyone is saying how we'll need an expensive breast pump, Bravado nursing bras, bottles, nipples that don't cause confusion, and milk storage products. We're not going to do formula, but DH is having a fit about me registering for a pump (it's not like anyone buys you that, so it'd be on OUR dime).

I don't WOTH, and while I do plan to have moments where E won't be glued to me 24/7 (dates, exercise, etc), can I really get away w/ NOT buying a breast pump? I have friends who said it was invaluable when their DC wanted to sleep in and they were just so engorged they needed a little taken off the top. Also, if we wanted to go on a prolonged date or if DD just got fussy, we'd need to leave milk w/ a caretaker/grandparent. At that point would it be worth it to get a less powerful/cheaper pump? Does that really exist? And if it does, and it's nearly as effective, why are the PISA's so $$$?
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

First of all. The Amedas are just as good (if not better- the Ameda was the pump of choice at the hospital I worked at). You can resell them (minus the pertinent parts) because milk doesn't get into the machinery. They are much cheaper than Medela & if you buy the Lansinoh pump (same pump) at Target, it's even cheaper.

Second of all, what are you planning on using it for? I think I pumped less than 10 times between the time of my son's birth & when he stopped nursing (at 16 months). I happened to have had a pump already. I certainly wouldn't have bought one, just to stay at home with him. Take a look at single electrics (like the Medela Single) or even a manual pump (Avent makes one). You really shouldn't need more than that. If you-
    http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Doubl...8942364&sr=1-2
    http://www.amazon.com/Ameda-Purely-Y...8942425&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Single-...942511&sr=1-28
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-...8942536&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-...8942536&sr=1-4

Alternately, rent a pump when you need one. Any home medical supply store should have one. Many hospitals rent them as well. The hospital grades are superior anyway, are cheap to rent & you only need to rent them on an as needed basis. I loved the Medela Symphony.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know people who didn't buy an electric pump and just used a hand pump when necessary but I wouldn't recommend it. I used a hand pump for a month while I was traveling overseas with DD and it was a PITA. I had a quick let down and produced a ton of milk so I didn't have to pump very long but not all women are that lucky and need to pump for 20 min or so for a few ounces.
    Do you have any friends who are done nursing and have a pump laying around the house. When I got pregnant with DD I had friends lining up to try to give me their pumps. I know that some people are grossed out by using a used pump but if you understand the physics of it all, I can't imagine how they could get contaminated. If you want to you can get new tubing and horns etc for less than $75. If you do get a new pump you can always sell it on CL for $100 and recoup some of your expenses.

Formula can be VERY expensive, especially if you baby has special dietary needs. I EBF until 10 months and I was shocked at how much money we were spending on formula when we switched over.

As far as bottles go, you are going to need bottles regardless of whether you formula feed of EBF. The vast majority of BF babies do not have nipple confusion and there are many studies that back this up. Storage bags are not very expensive and we actually never used them much anyway since we generally used up any expressed milk before it went bad. You can get 75 Lansinoh bags for ~$14 off Amazon with SS.
    Nursing bras are not THAT expensive especially since you are planning on wearing them for a year...I mean you are going to need bras during that year regardless of whether you BF or not and I usually buy a couple of bras a year even when I'm not BFing.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrioh View Post
    As far as bottles go, you are going to need bottles regardless of whether you formula feed of EBF. The vast majority of BF babies do not have nipple confusion and there are many studies that back this up. Storage bags are not very expensive and we actually never used them much anyway since we generally used up any expressed milk before it went bad. You can get 75 Lansinoh bags for ~$14 off Amazon with SS.
    Nursing bras are not THAT expensive especially since you are planning on wearing them for a year...I mean you are going to need bras during that year regardless of whether you BF or not and I usually buy a couple of bras a year even when I'm not BFing.
    *I* hear you, but these aren't "needs" according to my penny pinching DH. (insert eyeroll) New bras? "What's wrong with the old ones?" Bottles? Isn't that what your breasts are for? He didn't grow up w/ any sisters; he's the baby of the family, so he never saw younger sibs get raised, and his parents were really tight w/ money. I feel like I'm just gonna have to wait until she gets here b/c he's just not "getting" it.

Thanks for the links, B. That's Lansinoh DEP looks like something I could register for at least that's not $300. It's $150 at Target.com, but $112-120-ish on Amazon. Does it get cheaper than that?
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsmama View Post
    Thanks for the links, B. That's Lansinoh DEP looks like something I could register for at least that's not $300. It's $150 at Target.com, but $112-120-ish on Amazon. Does it get cheaper than that?
    Check ebay.

BTW, I wouldn't borrow a (medela pump from anyone). Not only does it void the warranty, it really is contaminated by the first user. Unless you know they have no secrets, I wouldn't risk it.

Oh and most pumps come with 2 bottles & they usually make nipples to go with it. Otherwise, buy 1 or 2 bottles. You won't need more.

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I got along fine with my Avent Isis manual pump, even when working PT 5 days/week. You might consider that as a less expensive alternative to start with.

Older models of the Isis contained BPA, but the ones manufactured after Feb. 2010 are BPA-free. The box should be labelled.
    Last edited by missym; 07-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

FWIW, my mom bought the pump my DH's (female) BFF registered for for her 1st baby ... and then did the same for my sister. Sometimes people surprise you! (Though my mom is an exception as she is VERY pro-breastfeeding, but you never know what people will do for you.)

I got enough gift cards that I was able to cover the cost of my PISA even without the registry completion coupon ... so I also got storage bags & cleaning wipes before going back to work.

A double electric pump (and hands-free bustier) is $$ well-spent IME. Sometimes your health insurance will cover part of the cost as well; see if your doc will write a 'script!

As for the nursing bras, IDK if it would matter to your DH, but nursing bras offer easier access to feed your squirmy, squally baby faster. They also help you stay modest when NIP ... or even in your own living room! Spending the $$ on them ensures that you're making nursing a lot more comfortable for you, which encourages you to do it longer ... and, once the $$ has been spent, you're set for a while if you take good care of them! (I'm the oddball in that I buy a lot of bras in general and don't balk at the costs, but being a large cup size means if I don't have the right bra, I look terrible!)

HTH and good luck!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I just buy all my maternity bras as nursing bras. Then I have a whole gamut of sizes to choose from. I did not buy a single maternity bra for my current pregnancy or the last one. They do stretch out terribly though & do need to be replaced. You also will need a bigger size for when your milk comes in. I would draw the line at letting your dh tell you that you don't need nursing bras. If you've never nursed before, you will be absolutely shocked at the size of your breasts after your milk comes in.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm lusting after the Bravado body silk ones. He keeps looking at the Target ones for $20-25 and asking what is "wrong" with them. Sigh. Ironically, I always bristle under his frugality, but he inevitably always gets me what I want and ask for. He's generous, just cautious.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Manual pump all the way for someone that doesn't need to pump more than a bottle or 2 now and then!

The pump was great especially for DH though - he love feeding the baby a bottle of EBM and without the pump that wouldn't have happened, kwim? We had a great routine going with DS2 and DD. I pumped a bottle during the day sometime, fed the baby at 9pm or so and went to bed. DH fed the midnight-ish bottle and then went to bed. I woke up at 3 am and fed the baby and then DH woke up for the day at 6 and brought baby to me. I had 5-6 hours uninterrupted sleep as did DH... PRICELESS!!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast