tlw is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Transitioning to milk from formula--remind me how

Do I put milk in the bottle instead of formula? Right now, DD takes 4 8oz bottles of formula (waking, 11 a.m., 4:00 p.m. and at bedtime).

She's good with the cup, which I offer at each meal with water in it.

Thanks~
    Lee

DS 12/05
    DD 7/09

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm wondering the same thing - we're on the same schedule for bottles: wake, 11, 3 and 7 at bedtime. In between, he eats (minimal - UGH) solids for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Does well with sippy/water at mealtimes. Do you just move the bottles to mealtimes? I know about mixing 1/2 and 1/2 until they get used to it, but when are they ready to do just 3 meals a day w/ snacks, of course. ?

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I offered milk in sippy cups as an added incentive to drop the bottle.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I would NOT put milk in a bottle if you can avoid it. It is so hard to get off the bottle then! I put milk in the sippy and just dropped the bottles as DCs drank more milk. DS1 would drink ANYTHING from a straw, so I used that to my advantage.
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I think there are multiple "right" ways to do this. I agree in theory it's probably better to just transition cold turkey from formula in a bottle to regular milk in a sippy (or better yet a straw cup... dentists don't like sippys much more than bottles). You could transition one bottle at a time, if that sounds too extreme. But if that's not happening quite yet, I'd just quit buying formula and put milk in a bottle. Then work on weaning the bottle the following week. Just remember that the longer they hold onto a bottle the harder it is to chuck it!
    Good Luck!
    :-)
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09