Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51
  1. #21
    swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PGTB View Post
    That depends on the pump I guess. I have a Medela Freestyle and I don't see how it can be contaminated. The pump itself is a completely separate unit that only comes in contact with tubing which only has air circulating though it and never comes in contact with the milk. The actual pump is what costs the most, the parts that come in contact with milk are those that cannot be shared, but they can be bought for less than $40. I don't know about PISA.

    I also have rented Symphony pump which is similar in a way that the pump itself is a separate unit not coming in contact with the milk. I had to buy my own shields/valves/membranes to use it.

    I think the entire contamination scare is just a propaganda by the pump companies to make you buy new ones. At least for a Freestyle pump, I don't see how it's different from the hospital grade pump that gets used by multiple people and where you have to buy your own shields/membranes/valves to use it.
    The Symphony is made to be used by multiple people.
    I also own a Freestyle and maybe what you say is true, but that doesn't have to make me comfortable lending it out (even if they bring their own attachments). I think the PISA might be the main problem, but again I don't have the comfort level. Especially not with the kind of health risk they are insinuating.

    Plenty of people agree with you though. That's why so many people successfully sell their used Medela pumps on ebay & CL.

    BTW, it's not the pump companies. Ameda doesn't have the same caveats. Neither do most other companies. Only Medela. The lactation consultants basically back up what Medela says. I've asked several.

  2. #22
    PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post

    I think the reason to BF or FF are not monetary and should not be approached as such.


    That really is what it reduces to. It's not an issue with saving cash on feeding your baby, because breastfeeding is not always a cheaper alternative in the beginning, at least not for all the women.

  3. #23
    PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    The Symphony is made to be used by multiple people.
    I also own a Freestyle and maybe what you say is true, but that doesn't have to make me comfortable lending it out (even if they bring their own attachments). I think the PISA might be the main problem, but again I don't have the comfort level. Especially not with the kind of health risk they are insinuating.

    Plenty of people agree with you though. That's why so many people successfully sell their used Medela pumps on ebay & CL.

    BTW, it's not the pump companies. Ameda doesn't have the same caveats. Neither do most other companies. Only Medela. The lactation consultants basically back up what Medela says. I've asked several.
    I totally agree, because I heard all the same propaganda. However, the funny thing is... I suspect my rented Symphony pump has more contamination risk because the condensation for some reason always builds up in the tubing and there was a tubing recall which made BRU stop renting Symphony pumps out. I have no problem with condensation in my Freestyle tubing. I guess if it really were financial problems and I were to choose whether to have the cheaper manual pump or the used nice double-electric pump, I would still choose the electric, knowing how much I use my pump, using manual pump would have made me quit breastfeeding altogether.

  4. #24
    swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,012

    Default

    Pumping didn't help my breastfeeding difficulties at all, so I don't know. I do know that if I buy another pump, it will be an Ameda. I love those things.

  5. #25
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    12,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PGTB View Post


    That really is what it reduces to. It's not an issue with saving cash on feeding your baby, because breastfeeding is not always a cheaper alternative in the beginning, at least not for all the women.
    I agree!

    I spent $65/month on a Symphony rental for 3 months PLUS $150 for a session with an LC to get things straightened out with my DD so she'd start gaining weight after we brought her home from the hospital!!!

    (However, (1) my situation was different in that I had to EP during DD's first 10 days and (2) I consider the money I shelled out then well spent because DD is now a healthy, thriving, exclusively breastfed 4-month-old.)
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 07-12-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DC Suburbs
    Posts
    21,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsmama View Post
    DH is having a fit about me registering for a pump (it's not like anyone buys you that, so it'd be on OUR dime).
    You'd be surprised! I've definitely chipped in for a BP for a coworker, and I've been at showers where a close friend of the mom to be bought the pump.

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonsmama View Post
    I don't WOTH, and while I do plan to have moments where E won't be glued to me 24/7 (dates, exercise, etc), can I really get away w/ NOT buying a breast pump? I have friends who said it was invaluable when their DC wanted to sleep in and they were just so engorged they needed a little taken off the top. Also, if we wanted to go on a prolonged date or if DD just got fussy, we'd need to leave milk w/ a caretaker/grandparent. At that point would it be worth it to get a less powerful/cheaper pump? Does that really exist? And if it does, and it's nearly as effective, why are the PISA's so $$$?
    I haven't read the other answers, but I think that if you don't have supply issues, and are SAH, a less expensive pump is fine. I was marveling at the manual ones (since I had a horrible, huge hospital issued pump while DDs were in the NICU), and my lactation consultant said they're great for moms who just need to pump a bottle here or there. The manual ones, or a good quality but less expensive pump sounds perfect for you!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

  7. #27
    Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PGTB View Post


    That really is what it reduces to. It's not an issue with saving cash on feeding your baby, because breastfeeding is not always a cheaper alternative in the beginning, at least not for all the women.
    ITA. But since the OP's questions were money-related, I decided to take that angle. If I had a choice, and had things MY way (and not DS') I would have BFed him till1 yo. And since I WOTH, I would've gotten the pump, making it NOT cheap.

  8. #28
    srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,592

    Default

    First of all, *I* think BFing is a financial investment, and I hated being told saving money was some great benefit but whatever. For me, it was expensive (both times) and worth the cost.

    Most of that stuff you'll use for subsequent babes, of course, too.

    Have you checked with your ins that they don't cover them, though? I did the $150 Lansinoh (same as Ameda Purely Yours) and was very pleased. I did end up renting a hospital grade 1 month for DS2, but I probably would have done that if I'd had a Medela home pump too.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DC Suburbs
    Posts
    21,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PGTB View Post
    That depends on the pump I guess. I have a Medela Freestyle and I don't see how it can be contaminated. The pump itself is a completely separate unit that only comes in contact with tubing which only has air circulating though it and never comes in contact with the milk. The actual pump is what costs the most, the parts that come in contact with milk are those that cannot be shared, but they can be bought for less than $40. I don't know about PISA.

    I also have rented Symphony pump which is similar in a way that the pump itself is a separate unit not coming in contact with the milk. I had to buy my own shields/valves/membranes to use it.

    I think the entire contamination scare is just a propaganda by the pump companies to make you buy new ones. At least for a Freestyle pump, I don't see how it's different from the hospital grade pump that gets used by multiple people and where you have to buy your own shields/membranes/valves to use it.
    OMG, I couldn't agree more. There is absolutely no way I can think of that the milk could even come near the pumping mechanism.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

  10. #30
    PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    770

    Default

    The main thing here is that you don't know what your BF experience will be and so you don't know how much it will cost you. All the responses here are really useful as they show you how different BF experience is for everyone.

    Some posters will say you don't need an expensive pump, a cheap manual one would do just fine and were able to get with it themselves. Others will say they couldn't absolutely live without their expensive and even hospital grade rented pumps (like myself). Some of us also spent hundreds on BF related equipment and costs (especially expensive fees for the lactation consultants). But you won't know if you need it until you are there and I am certain there has to be free services for families with low income. I found that some experienced BF moms that chair La Leche League meetings are just as good as professional lactation consultants in providing support and I am sure some lactation consultants volunteer their time as well.

    In the meanwhile, I would register for the pump you want and you never know, someone may be able to get it for you. Also, there must be some registries where multiple people can contribute portion of a cost towards a certain more expensive item. And like someone already mentioned, you may be getting all sorts of gift cards and just simple cash gifts from family and friends you can put towards purchasing your pump IF you find out you need it.

    I wouldn't stress about it now, see how BF experience is for you and decide what you need. Keep these gift cards, cash on hand just in case and also research if you can buy a used pump on E-bay, CL.

    Good luck!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •