Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Braxton-Hicks fan club

Anyone want to join? I know I'm going to spend the next 8 weeks or so contracting or cramping. I already have been for the past couple days. At least my actual labors are short. Does anyone else hate the term 'false' labor? Say 'aye'.

Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Aye. I'm right with you. I'll be @32 weeks tomorrow. My first two were late, but I had lots of false alarms.

So we're due 3 days apart. I was 32 weeks on Saturday. We can commiserate together.
    I have lots of false alarms, but my last 2 were early. DD2 was 3+ weeks early & DS was 8 days early.

Forgive my newbie-ness, but when do these usually start? What do they feel like? Wikipedia and all my pregnancy books are wildly inconsistent.
    Beaming mom to DS born 10/20/2010.
    The Force is strong with this one.

Hey we were all newbies once. Supposedly they are painless tightenings of your abdomen. In reality though, BH contractions are contractions that hurt but don't dilate your cervix. They start about the end of your 2nd, beginning of your 3rd trimester & are annoying because sometimes it's hard to tell if they are real. Usually they tell you to walk around, eat, drink, shower or take a nap, as contractions that are 'false' often stop when you do one of those activities. In reality though, what happens is that you call your Dr and they tell you to go in just to be 'safe' & then you just feel stupid when they send you home. Not always though- I had 3 false alarms for DS- Time #1- I was dilating & they kept me for 2 hours to walk to see if they would admit me. I was there all night. Time #2- they kept me all night because baby had a heart decel & they were deciding whether to induce me (at 37 weeks). Time #3- They were also evaluating me for induction because my fluid was markedly decreased. So if it's painful enough to bother you, it isn't really something you should ignore.

I don't know about anyone else though, but I had absolutely 0 BH contractions with #1. With #2 & 3, I had multiple false alarms.

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Aye-yi-yi. I'm 35 weeks and so sick of BH. Add bloated, gassy tummy and a super busy baby to the mix - I'm going to say they can be a little bit painful from time to time. Not unbearably so. Mostly uncomfortable and annoying. I've had them both times and had a really long labor with DD #1 - If BH are going to help my body get ready (and hopefully that means a shorter labor this time), I'll join the fan club.

Lucky you. Mine are painful at times, and I don't usually dilate until I go into labor. My labors are quick though. My labor with DD2- was violently quick. They called it precipitous. I prefer longer and calmer. Which is what I had with DS (and I was lucky I had a natural labor with him, because at least one Dr wanted to induce me so I wouldn't be unpredictable.)

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Me!!! I had them (not knowing what they were then) starting at about 28 weeks with DS1 and ended up delivering at 34 wks. This pg I started them much earlier but my doc isn't as concerned. He says they are pretty common with subsequent pregnancies. As long as they aren't regular and I am not having any spotting/bleeding, leaking etc. he is OK with that. We are doing progesterone therapy to hopefully prevent another 34 week delivery this time.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Me! Me!
    We actually spent the wee hours of the morning at L&D! I was having very regular contractions, but no cervical dialation, so they gave me the choice to either continue managing at the hosipital or manage at home. You know - home - that magical place where you can eat and drink? So now I'm home, still contracting, but on the couch.
    I'm 35 weeks tomorrow, so hopefully I'll go a bit longer. My OB did say that because of the GD, they would likely induce in either week 37 or 38 anyway, so...
    I just don't want this little guy out any second sooner than he has to be, kwim?
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Quote Originally Posted by jerigirl View Post
    Me!!! I had them (not knowing what they were then) starting at about 28 weeks with DS1 and ended up delivering at 34 wks. This pg I started them much earlier but my doc isn't as concerned. He says they are pretty common with subsequent pregnancies. As long as they aren't regular and I am not having any spotting/bleeding, leaking etc. he is OK with that. We are doing progesterone therapy to hopefully prevent another 34 week delivery this time.
    Did your baby spend time in the NICU?
    Right now I'm doing fine, but I had complications that affected my placenta earlier in pregnancy. So there is a risk of me delivering earlier. Once I'm past 34 weeks I will breathe MUCH easier.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast