kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Different trip than I thought

I am bummed to say that my husband will not be able to join me for most of my Chicago trip later this month because of a work scheduling snafu (they are understaffed which makes it tricky to schedule time off). So for most nights I will be alone. What sorts of things should a mom alone downtown in Chicago? I am staying in the Loop area to stay close to the conference site. Thinking of compensating for the disappointment with a some spa and drop in fitness time. Suggested places to go? Good places to dine alone? Best bookstore to peruse? Movie house? I am going to a baseball game 1 night but otherwise am looking for ideas. Of course, a book, the TV remote, dessert and a really nice hotel room to myself don't sound too bad either, LOL.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

there is a very large Barnes and Noble at Jackson and State. The Harold Washington (public) Library isn't far from there either, and it's pretty cool.

There's always the Magnificent Mile--shopping on Michigan Ave.

What kind of food do you like? Is there a cuisine that you can't get in Seattle that you would like to try?
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

You might want to PM arrivechhi...she is from Chicago, and is a Chicago booster! I'm sure she'll have some good ideas for you. What a bummer, but I hope you can turn it into a rejuvenating trip.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

there are plenty of Chicago mamas on here....just let us know what your preferences are and we can point you in plenty of directions! LOL!

If you are a Mac user, you DEFINITELY want to check out the Apple store on Michigan Ave--it's HUGE.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Hi,

I'm from a suburb of Chicago. You have to go to Navy Pier and Millenium Park for the views alone. They are so beautiful and the flowers are in bloom right now. We've also been to the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum (Natural History) and others. Drop me a PM if I can help.

Enjoy the trip.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I am going to be right by Grant Park so I will def go there. Taking my skates to get some practice in. Wanted to go to: http://www.windycityrollers.com/ but I should not skip out on the conference dinner thingy. Oh well.

I like pretty much any kind of food but with my husband not there I am going to focus on networking with the people at the conference so I only have 1 night of dinner alone, the rest I will be with work friends or people I meet at the conference. 1 shot for an awesome dinner alone, where should I go?

Also, any suggestions on a spa in the Loop area? I have most of Thursday in town before conference starts and thinking some me time would be not ill advised. I may also go shoe shopping that day as well and treat myself for my 30th B-day. I will check out the Mac store, not the least of reasons is I actually need to pick up a part for my laptop. May go to the Field Museum on Sunday or Monday before heading home.

Thanks ladies!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Millenium Park Med Spa gets good reviews.

There is also a deal on YouSwoop.com today for $20 for a Mani-Pedi at a place in the Loop.

As for dinner, you can check reviews on www.chowhound.com and www.metromix.com. I haven't been to the city for dinner in a while.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

http://www.youswoop.com/Default.aspx?SkipLanding=true

it's now $24--the original quantity sold out.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009