Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ***US bans sale of ALL dropside cribs***

Last edited by infomama; 07-14-2010 at 08:03 PM.

I wonder about resale becasue I was going to sell ours after we put TT in a regular bed.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes it would....

The Consumer Product Safety Commission proposed new rules that would ban the manufacture, sale and resale of drop-side cribs. The new crib standard, likely to take effect next year, would also outlaw drop-sides at motels, hotels and childcare facilities.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So, in light of this, should we put our drop side crib on the curb for the trash? I literally just listed it on CL with the fix from the company b/c DD moved to a twin bed. For the last 7 months we had been using it as a toddler bed.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    So, in light of this, should we put our drop side crib on the curb for the trash? I literally just listed it on CL with the fix from the company b/c DD moved to a twin bed. For the last 7 months we had been using it as a toddler bed.
    I would modify your listing to say also a toddler bed or just CL it as a toddler bed.

I had a feeling this ban was only a matter of time.

I do feel bad for the families with disabilities and back problems who rely on the drop side mechanisms to help them help their babies in and out of the crib
    K

Thanks for the article. I printed a copy to pass on to our local pregnancy center. They have a drop-side crib there to "buy" for those who do their earn while you learn program.

Beth

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm short. Not only did we have the dropside crib, but we removed the casters to lower it another 1.5 inches. I would need a stool to get a baby out of a fixed side crib unless they could stand up.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I had a feeling this ban was only a matter of time.

I do feel bad for the families with disabilities and back problems who rely on the drop side mechanisms to help them help their babies in and out of the crib
    I'm short. Not only did we have the dropside crib, but we removed the casters to lower it another 1.5 inches. I would need a stool to get a baby out of a fixed side crib unless they could stand up.
    These are exactly the people I thought of. I also thought it was just a matter of time.

It just seems like manufacturers should have been able to find a way to make drop sides safe. Of course the fact that non drop sides cost more probably didn't encourage them to try (yeah, I know, crazy conspiracy theory!)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post

And short people like me! Happy to be past that stage!
    SAHM to:

Seriously, me too.

I guess I'd better keep my drop-side crib until I hit menopause, just in case, since I won't be able to buy another!

I have used a fixed side crib before at a friend's house, and she had a stool next to the crib, and I *still* had to gently "drop" DD2 the last half inch or so because I couldn't reach far enough. Luckily it didn't wake her up!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast