Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Any luck with insurance covering...?

Anyone had luck getting their insurance company to pay for or help with things like a breast pump, a night nurse, or post-partum doula? I'm calling ours tomorrow and am not sure where to start. My doula insists that things have changed since we had our first DC and that I should ask insurance again if they cover any of those things. I'm wondering if PPD would be a condition that warrants post-partum help in the form of a nurse or doula. ???

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've never had a night nurse or pp doula, so I don't know. Breast pumps are covered by a number of insurance companies. In any case, you won't lose anything by asking.

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My breastpump was covered but I never inquired regarding the others. Good luck!
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

My breastpump was covered, but the doctor had to write me a prescription for it. Never tried for the others.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

DH's insurance doesn't cover anything! Just the birth and hospital stay.

Our insurance gives a "discount" on a particular $500 breastpump, but that's it.

Otherwise, it just covers the birth, etc. And, that's nothing like it used to be. When I had my first child in 2003, I paid a $10 copay for the very first prental appointment and NOTHING after that. Those were the days...hahahaha

I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but many military families (although it's not through their insurance) qualify for no-cost-to-them doula assistance during labor when a spouse is deployed, and Base Family Services divisions offer post-partum (in-home) visits if you meet certain conditions (income, deployment status, # of children, etc). There are also a host of free childbirth and breastfeeding prep classes with on-call lactation consultants.

Unless your child came home from the hosp w/ a medical condition, I know post-partum doulas are not covered. If you child needed special services, insurance would cover NP in-home visits, but not a house keeper/cook (which is what post-partum doulas do).
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My insurance, Kaiser at the local hospital had a number of Medela or Ameda products at 20 too 25% off. It probably all depends on your plan too.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

My insurance only covered a breast pump if DD was in the NICU and I needed to pump to feed her. It's best to call and inquire, though.
    Michelle
    Miss E: 2/25/2010
    Baby Noname: EDD 10/10/2016
    Naughty kitties: Leo, Billy, and Dora

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

[QUOTE=bostonsmama;2791350]I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but many military families (although it's not through their insurance) qualify for no-cost-to-them doula assistance during labor when a spouse is deployed, and Base Family Services divisions offer post-partum (in-home) visits if you meet certain conditions (income, deployment status, # of children, etc). There are also a host of free childbirth and breastfeeding prep classes with on-call lactation consultants.QUOTE]

Glad that you shared that info - Great to know those services are available to military families in some cases!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast