Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well, I don't want to speak being a dictator into his life but, yes, my DS has a very strong personality.

I've learned he does best when I have high expectations for him and expect him to meet them. When I'm lazy about discipline, he willingly takes charge of anything and everything.

When he was still in a crib, he went there for time out/cool down periods. Helping him understand that his wants didn't trump the family's needs was/is very important in all of us being happy as a family.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

i'm actually pleased to read that there are other children NOT like this

as DS is our first/only, i realize i've gotten to thinking that this is just what all babies are like

he is wild. very strong willed. from the time he was a newborn. everything was to an extreme. and now he can go from major fits of laughter to major fits of rage in the blink of an eye. he has zero patience and is unfortunately prone to hitting, biting, pinching and throwing things.

so...i guess there's a chance that if we have a second, maybe they won't be quite like him

i really enjoy the liveliness of his personality - he certainly is spirited in every way. but i'm not sure i could endure two.
    Last edited by lmh2402; 07-16-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    i really enjoy the liveliness of her personality - he certainly is spirited in every way. but i'm not sure i could endure two.
    I totally understand this. If Sebastian was my first child, I would not have considered another. He will be two next week and there is no doubt who rules the roost here. I've always been a bit of a control-freak. I guess he gets it from me.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    i'm actually pleased to read that there are other children NOT like this as DS is our first/only, i realize i've gotten to thinking that this is just what all babies are like
    My third baby was the first of mine who was like this. My girls never threw tantrums like this. He not only throws tantrums, but hits & kicks when he doesn't get his way. It's very frustrating & I admit that I am still working on figuring out how to help him modify his behavior.

Even funnier, he is my shyest child. He has a lively personality at home, but not like my very outgoing girls. He isn't a risk taker at all. At nearly 21 months, he is still petrified of stairs & myriad other things.

Well, Josh is turning 8 next month...so I'll let you know when I see it end It started out with colic and reflux, highly demanding personality and high needs as a baby, and now he's just bigger

And lmh2402~ I think you may want to invest in the book "Raising Your Spirited Child". I have worn through a copy of it already, full of highlighting and notes, and now recently bought the updated version and workbook.
    Last edited by daisymommy; 07-16-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    Well, Josh is turning 8 next month...so I'll let you know when I see it end It started out with colic and reflux, highly demanding personality and high needs as a baby, and now he's just bigger

And lmh2402~ I think you may want to invest in the book "Raising Your Spirited Child". I have worn through a copy of it already, full of highlighting and notes, and now recently bought the updated version and workbook.
    i'm almost through reading it the first time

i'm still struggling to find ways to apply much of it since he is pretty much non-verbal and definitely does not "listen" or care to hear me try and talk with him when he is in a mood

my DS is not shy. not retiring in any way at any time. he puts it all out there every second of every day. gosh, i really hope if/when we have #2, they are a bit more mild in temperament. that would be nice
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2