Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flying with 20 month old/sleeping no bed??

So my question is sort of 2 parts. We'll be flying with DS in both Aug. and Sept. I'm sort of crossing my fingers that they'll be an extra seat available so he can sit in his car seat on the plane (he does not whine at all in his car seat in the car at least) as I don't want to pay for one when it could be free... I know my active boy will not want to remain in my lap. We traveled with him when he was 7 months before, and it was an absolute nightmare!...screaming, tears, etc. I know ppl were cursing us on the plane I'm anticipating worse this trip as now he can walk! Do any of you know if they'll allow me to use my carrier with him in it rather than just have him in my lap? I just want to have something to contain him. Or what about something like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/..._Winning_85184
    What have you all done?

Now the 2nd part of my question:
    We usually co-sleep with DS, but my sister will not have a bed for us when we go visit her. They co-sleep with their baby girl too so they obviously need their bed and the other bedroom will be occupied by my parents. I wouldn't ask my 65 yr. old father to sleep on the floor so that's why we'll be stuck on the floor. But I'm concerned that DS will not stay put and sleep on the floor since there's nothing to contain him, and it might be weird to him. So what would you do in this case? TIA!!
    Mommy to a "Fiery" DS we so lovingly call "The Beast" 12/31/08
    And our newest summer addition DS2 7/8/12

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For flying- good luck with getting an empty seat. I haven't had a flight yet in the last year that wasn't full or oversold, but some friends have. You are allowed to use the carrier, but some FA will make you take him out during takeoff and landing (I think those are the rules, but not always enforced)
    The Baby-b-air is not really any better, I think most people here don't care for it. If your DS is used to being worn, I would stick with that. Are you travelling during a normal sleep time (nap, night?) I flew with my DS at 23months as a lap child, red eye out and he slept most the way. Of course, I couldn't sleep because his head kept falling off my shoulder and I would wake up to readjust. It was not fun, but doable.
    Expect lots of walking up the aisles. I allowed DS to do that atleast once on each flight for a few minutes.

For sleeping- will there be an air mattress? I don't cosleep, so don't really know how it works, but if you had a mattress that would give him boundaries and the feel of a bed, that might help. Queen mattresses are pretty cheap at Target etc, you could get one for under $30-50.
    mom to Billy 12/07

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

we ALWAYS buy a seat for the kids. We just flew from DC to Dominican Republic with Jack who was 20 months old. 2 of the 4 flights were over sold NO WAY we would have made it without strapping him into his seat he was all over the place. The FA will make you take a child out of a carrier Ive seen it many times even with really little babies.
    IF the seatbelt sign is on you will not be allowed to walk or have him walk with you. One leg of our flight the sign was on most of the trip with that and the beverage cart we didnt walk to much

I had someone suggest benedryl ( yeah.... I let them have it)

I'd get an airmattress they arent that expensive.

Dont forget your DC's birth certificate I saw 2 people with larger lap babies get ask this trip. I had only seen them ask once before this trip
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

My LO was used to being worn so I brought the sling on board and hoped I could use so she'd feel somewhat normal on my lap. The flight attendants wouldn't allow me to use it for take of or landing, so by the time I could use it DD was so restless and it took so much effort to try and put the sling on in such a little space that it really wasn't worth bringing.

At 20 months my firstborn was really into watching TV. She hadn't seen much until then so having a chance to watch Elmo was a big treat and kept her occupied for 1/2 hour. Then budget time to eat, plan on a couple trips walking up & down the aisle, maybe some time for puzzles, crayons, stickers or new toys. Take into account how long your flight is and have something for every five minutes.

Can you try co-sleeping on the floor at home before you leave? Maybe try in a sleeping bag at first for naptime so there's a sense of containment but you can watch him, and then you can have it open when you're there? I'm always a big fan of sleeping test runs before traveling somewhere just to see what might work. Then I think our DDs sleep a little better on the road since they've tried it in their own house first.

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    we ALWAYS buy a seat for the kids. We just flew from DC to Dominican Republic with Jack who was 20 months old. 2 of the 4 flights were over sold NO WAY we would have made it without strapping him into his seat he was all over the place....IF the seatbelt sign is on you will not be allowed to walk or have him walk with you. One leg of our flight the sign was on most of the trip with that and the beverage cart we didnt walk to much

I'd get an airmattress they arent that expensive.

Dont forget your DC's birth certificate I saw 2 people with larger lap babies get ask this trip. I had only seen them ask once before this trip

Agree with ALL of this. I don't know where you're flying to/from, or how long the trip is, but you really need to prepare for holding a 20 month old on your lap for that long. The days of empty flights are for the most part long gone. And they won't try to accommodate you. You may get lucky, and I'll cross my fingers too, but prepare for the worse.

My DDs got "carded" the one time we flew without them having seats (very short flight). They were only 18 months, and they are less than 50th percentile in height, and even lower in weight. There's no way anyone would actually think they were over two at the time. So definitely have proof of age.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

OH and with a lap baby you really cant use the tray table ( FYI)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Thanks for everyone's advice! I suppose if all else fails, we could try to sleep on the floor or air mattress in my nieces's room so at least we could lock the door so DS can't escape As far as the plane ride goes...can anyone also suggest good toys to occupy him with? He has a lot of toys, but loses interest in everything after only a few minutes.
    Mommy to a "Fiery" DS we so lovingly call "The Beast" 12/31/08
    And our newest summer addition DS2 7/8/12

Quote Originally Posted by FieryOne1231 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's advice! I suppose if all else fails, we could try to sleep on the floor or air mattress in my nieces's room so at least we could lock the door so DS can't escape As far as the plane ride goes...can anyone also suggest good toys to occupy him with? He has a lot of toys, but loses interest in everything after only a few minutes.
    I used to go to the Dollar Store, Target's "dollar" section, or Once Upon a Child (if you have one - or try Craig's List or Goodwill) for super cheap and new toys. I also would take away some of kids favorite toys a few weeks before a trip and hide them. Put about half of the things in your suitcase and the rest in a big backpack for the plane - then you'll have "new" things for the flight home too. I've taken a 3 hour flight and used every item in the bag twice, plus walked up & down and ate a full meal - and still struggled to keep her occupied. And other flights we've touched one thing in the bag the whole time. You just never know.

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS is 20 months and we will be flying this week. There are a ton of threads on things to entertain. Here are a few ideas I am using:

magna doodle
    Triangular crayons/coloring book
    sticker book
    post its
    lift the flap book
    Books
    painter's tape
    pipe cleaners ( to string fruit loops on)
    I Spy book
    Cards (I got a set with animals on them at the $1 section in target.)
    Dixie cups ( stacking)
    photo album (I bought a cheap album and put pictures in it)
    Chubbies/cars
    puppet
    DVD player
    lots of snacks (A lot of posters suggested filling a pill box with snacks)

Sorry, for the weird look. I copied and pasted it from my Travel List.
    Last edited by swrc00; 07-17-2010 at 08:37 AM.

I'll be doing a flight with a 2 year old in a couple weeks. Maryland to TN and then texas to maryland. my packing list for him on the plane
    snacks-crackers, m&'s, lollypops
    doodle pro
    books
    schleich animals
    link a doo rings
    flashlight
    lighty spinny toy
    stickers
    crayola color wonder markers and books that come in a travel case (new)
    card matching game (new)
    maybe some small cars although i'm afraid they will be flying around the plane.
    I'm hoping to get him a window seat looking outside should entertain him for a little bit.

The first flight is only about an hour and 45 minutes so i'm not to worried about it but the texas to maryland flight is much longer. He will have his own seat on the plane but not his carseat.
    I'm hoping he will sleep on the flight.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast