Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Mini-pill. Yes/No?

I've had a prescription waiting for about 5 months! Can't decide.

We're a bit weary of the other "precautions," if you know what I mean. But don't want to risk another pregancy at this time. According to my midwife, the efficacy is less than the regular pill but is usually just as good when combined with BFing.

DD is just shy of 8 months. She is eating 3 big solid meals a day, nursing 2 times (possibly not totally filling up that way, though) and drinking 2-3 four oz bottles of expressed BM. She gets a bedtime bottle that's often mostly formula, depending on how pumping went that day.

Since she has all these other food sources, I wonder if we're BFing enough to count as full time. Maybe we'll wait...

What do you think?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I did the mini pill with ds2 until he weaned at 19mo. I probably was lucky not to get pg b/c I wasn't terribly reliable about taking it!

I went for the Paragard IUD with ds2 at 8w pp. Love it!! Can't believe I wasted my time on the mini pill with ds1. So nice to not have to think about bc.

Beth

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If I was dedicated to not getting pregnant I would either get a bit OCD about taking the mini-pill (b/c you must take it at pretty much the same time every day - you have less than an hour window of difference before efficacy starts to drop) or else do the minipill + condoms or something like that (maybe spermicide).. I know quite a few people who got pregnant on it or ovulated while on it.

Given your daughter's age and eating habits I wouldn't count on the 'breastfeeding for birth control' as a second layer of protection anymore - that is most effective for babies under 6 months, who are nursing multiple times at night, and don't take any artificial nipples (no pacifiers) and aren't on solids. Once you start removing each of those variables the rate of ovulation and fertility return increase.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's what I'm afraid of.

And I seem to be super-cycle woman because my periods came back at 3 months, seeming to include ovulation if I'm any judge. That was with total BFing, no supplements, no binkies.

As a former sex ed teacher...Breast feeding is definitely not birth control, no matter what age. I know more than one LO conceived that way even if EBF with no pacis etc etc. etc. I have been on the mini-pill a few different times, never have had an issues with it. I also have not heard of it losing efficiency any more so than a multi-hormonal pill would if taken an hour outside of your time. The biggest failure rate with any BC is not using it properly and consistantly.
    You can always set the alarm on your cell though, or consistently set yourself to take it at lunch or dinner or something if you eat at the same time everyday.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm on the mini-pill and even though I NEVER take it at the same time every day I still haven't gotten pregnant yet! DS2 is 13 months old and still breastfeeding, but my periods came back at 5 weeks postpartum. The mini-pill can cause irregular bleeding though and sometimes my periods would be a week early or 2-3 weeks late, but my last 4 periods have been right on time (28 days). I set my cell phone alarm to go off at 5pm every day to remind me to take my pill, but I usually don't end up taking it till later. A few times I've forgotten completely and had to double up the next day. If you really don't want to get pregnant I'd just set an alarm and take your pill when it goes off (keep the pills in your purse/diaper bag so you can take them even if you're out of the house). All of my friends have been on the minipill while breastfeeding and none of them have had issues with it or gotten pregnant (although they also didn't get their periods back till way later than I did).
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I take it, have not got a period yet after 13 mos. Nursing 2 or 3 x day during work week.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i'm a midwife, and the pp is correct - taking it at the same time every day is much more important for the mini pill than the regular one.

but if your breastfeeding is established, it's most likely that a regular pill would be fine. the potential risk is a decrease in supply, but as an experienced nurser you would recognize that & take steps to increase your supply. or, of course, change to another method.

depo shots are safe with breastfeeding, and might be a good choice while you're nursing. then you could decide whether to switch back to a regular pill when you wean.

but, boy, i love my mirena!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would highly suggest an IUD in that situation.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

The mini pill dried me up quite a bit for breast feeding , but it didn't help ole Aunt Flo be any lighter.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast