Default Required to see family when in town?

MIL anf FIL came to visit us for two weeks last month. It was sort of unexpected and DH and I were planning to use that time to go on a trip our selves since DH had been working really long hours at work and it would be the only break he'd have till late fall. But his parents found out and decided to come visit.

My parents or divorce, but they put money together to fly me and DS1 out to see them. They live in the same city as MIL and FIL.

DH and I are of themindset not to let MIL adn FIL know we will be in town, let along pay them a visit. on a typical two week trip back we only see my mom for an evening and my dad for an evening the rest of the time is spent with MIL and FIL and even SIL and her family.

My dad however is suggesting that we go see them. Saying that if they find out we are dead. which really wouldn't be anything new. since you know I'd be introuble for giving them a surprise visit. anything I do i'd be in trouble for.

What would you do?

I'd tell them. We came to town a couple of times without telling my mom. She found out we were in town and didn't tell her, and she was very hurt and embarrassed (a friend of hers saw me and mentioned it to her, and she had no idea we were around). I meant well--we needed time with in-laws alone to discuss some family matters and I thought it was easiest to just visit and go home without seeing my mom--but I handled it all wrong and should have been honest.

I'd call your in-laws, let them know this is mainly a visit with your family since you just had "such a great visit" with them, and invite them over to eat or something like that. I'd hold firm, then, that the rest of the time is a visit with your family.

I'd tell the in laws and invite them to come TO YOU one night for pizza or something. Maybe toward the end of your stay so you don't get sucked into seeing them more than once.
    Green Tea, mom to three