Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Uppa Baby Issues

There seems to be nothing but glowing reviews for the Uppa Baby Vista. I don’t know if I have just been the victim of bad luck, or if others haven’t had their strollers long enough, but I want others to know my experience. We purchased our stroller in May of 2008. I chose this stroller because we live in a major city and we would use our stroller a lot. Baby Bargains gave them great reviews (specifically for urban dwellers), and although $600 is a pretty hefty price tag, it’s cheaper that many competitors, and I thought it was an investment that would last long into the toddler years. For the most part, the first 1.5 years we had it we had minimal complaints (the wheels would get really squeaky and the back wheels were really wide). But otherwise it was fine. When she was 18 months old the stroller broke – meaning the weld at a joint on the frame popped off and the frame was completely broken. This was frustrating, considering I relied on using this stroller every day, but I assumed Uppa Baby would replace it since we were within the two year warranty window. When we called they said they required a proof of purchase and pictures of broken frame. I understand needing the pictures I suppose, but who keeps a receipt for 18 months? We had sent in our postcard registering our stroller, but they said they had no record of us in our system. So, since we had no proof of purchase, we were left with a broken stroller at 18 months. In my opinion, if you charge $600 for a stroller, especially if you are a new company, you just send a new frame and accept that cost in the name of good customer service. Additionally, the wheels were so worn down that they were virtually unusable. When our toddler was 21 months old we actually tried duct taping the frame to see if that would work (it didn’t) but we discovered at that time that the seat no longer fit her (the straps were snug and her head hit the canopy). Now, our daughter is very big for her age, but she is well below the 50 lb weight limit, and she is 37 inches tall – which is apparently too tall for their seat. So their claim that it will grow well into toddler years is not necessarily true – especially if you have a big baby. Finally, just to be nit-picky, it annoys me that they show the stroller on a beach on their web site – insinuating it will work on a beach. Not true – it came to a virtual stand-still as soon as we hit the sand and we had to carry it. In the end, I suppose you could make the argument that they have the right to ask for a proof of purchase, but with the cost of the stroller, and all the accolades it receives, I wouldn’t expect to have all the problems I’ve had. I should be able to trust that it will carry me through until my daughter is at least 2.5 years old and not worry about where the receipt is. And I would certainly expect to be entered into their system when I register my stroller. Perhaps newer models have improved, but that doesn’t change the way the company handled the problem. So, that’s my two cents on the Uppa Baby. It may be the first bad thing you’ve ever heard about it, but since they are really gaining in popularity, I felt I needed to let others know my experience.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That's terrible. They should have helped you. However, many stroller companies will not help you unless you have proof of purchase showing you are within the warranty period. Registering is not proof of purchase. That is just for recall purposes. Just wanted to clarify that for anybody who might think that registering = proof of purchase.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

sorry to hear. seems from the posts on this board many have been having issues with their vistas. i would be pissed for $700. that is honestly one of the reasons i am glad to only have spend $250 on my bjcm and have had no issues whatsoever! same goes for bob strollers. hope it all works out

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Vista. That's really unfortunate.

We routinely get calls from customers needing a copy of their original invoice because many manufacturers do require proof of purchase from an authorized dealer for warranty support. It's never a problem to shoot them a copy.

I suggest you contact the original retailer and see if they can help you out with that.

Hope that helps.
    Heather
    Owner, PeppyParents

Quote Originally Posted by PeppyParents View Post
    We routinely get calls from customers needing a copy of their original invoice because many manufacturers do require proof of purchase from an authorized dealer for warranty support. It's never a problem to shoot them a copy.

I suggest you contact the original retailer and see if they can help you out with that.
    This is what I was thinking too. If you know where you bought the stroller, they should be able to come up with a record of your purchase. Also, if you bought it using your credit card, do you have a credit card statement that shows your purchase? (If so, Uppababy might either accept this as proof or the retailer you purchased it from might be able to use that information to find proof of your purchase for you.) One of the things I like about ordering online is that you have a very easy to find record of your transaction (an e-mail) and usually so does the company you ordered from. (I've had retailers e-mail me a proof of purchase when I've reported a problem with a product, even without requesting one, because they know I will need it for customer service with the product's company.)

As far as your daughter outgrowing the stroller early, I have read that others have said the Vista is really only guaranteed to fit for the first 2 years because the seat back isn't very tall, but I believe they have made the seat back taller for the 2010 model since that was one of the complaints with the stroller.

Even though it's unfortunate for you, I can completely understand why companies cannot repair strollers without a proof of purchase. With all of the buying and selling of used equipment that goes on these days both online and through craig's list, they need to be able to verify that the person who wants the repair actually paid for the product and that it really is within the warranty period. Although with such a serious flaw, I'm surprised they didn't make an exception and help you out. So sorry you had a bad experience. Thanks for sharing it. I agree that some strollers seem to only get glowing reviews and every stroller must have its flaws.
    Last edited by Multimama; 07-17-2010 at 08:21 AM.

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i can understand how you'd be frustrating with the recite thing- i had a prob with a bugaboo i bought off cl and i called bugaboo and they send the new parts with no recite or picture. since you LO is outgrowing it anyways (those types of strollers don't fit a lot of kids past 18 months or 2) i would get something that is cheaper and lighter.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

With all of the buying and selling of used equipment that goes on these days both online and through craig's list, they need to be able to verify that the person who wants the repair actually paid for the product and that it really is within the warranty period
    The OP has an 08 which is, I think, the first model year -- so must be in the warranty period. I had one from that year as well and I remember the paperwork saying how important it was to send in the little warranty postcard, so it's disappointing that it didn't mean anything when push came to shove.

I also agree with the OP that Uppababy should make it more clear that the stroller is only good for about 2 years due to height.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    The OP has an 08 which is, I think, the first model year -- so must be in the warranty period. I had one from that year as well and I remember the paperwork saying how important it was to send in the little warranty postcard, so it's disappointing that it didn't mean anything when push came to shove.

I also agree with the OP that Uppababy should make it more clear that the stroller is only good for about 2 years due to height.
    I didn't realize that the Vista was such a new stroller! No wonder everyone is always so excited about it. If it couldn't possibly be out of warranty, I think it's ridiculous that they won't fix the problem. I would pursue trying to get a proof of purchase from the retailer.

Is the Vista a rare stroller in being outgrown fairly young? I thought many strollers had comparable seat backs. If it's outgrown by 2, is the rumble seat really that useful for most families?

Thanks for bringing up these issues, OP. How many times did you call Uppababy to try to get it repaired? If you only called once, I would call again with the argument that the stroller *has* to be within the warranty period since they have only been made for 2 years.

ETA: When you call, you could also mention that if they don't help you, you will spread bad press about them all over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    I didn't realize that the Vista was such a new stroller! No wonder everyone is always so excited about it. If it couldn't possibly be out of warranty, I think it's ridiculous that they won't fix the problem. I would pursue trying to get a proof of purchase from the retailer.

Is the Vista a rare stroller in being outgrown fairly young? I thought many strollers had comparable seat backs. If it's outgrown by 2, is the rumble seat really that useful for most families?

ETA: When you call, you could also mention that if they don't help you, you will spread bad press about them all over the internet.
    The Vista came out as a 2006 model in late 2005.

For what it's worth, as a family-run retailer, we are always way more enthused about helping (and possibly bending policies for) pleasant customers who unfortunately encounter problems than the ones who make threats to attempt to destroy our business if all of their demands aren't met.

Again - I think it's unfortunate that the original poster is having problems with her Vista, and I totally get her frustration. It doesn't sound like UPPAbaby is refusing to help her... they're just requesting documentation of the purchase date from an authorized dealer. It seems like it's just a few minute annoyance to look up the original seller and request an invoice copy, and sending it to UPPAbaby.

As a dealer, we've never seen UPPAbaby hang a customer to dry with a problem that the warranty would cover as soon as proof of purchase is provided.

I see this from all sides (as mom/retailer and also knowing how the manufacturer's work), so I do appreciate everyone's perspective on it!
    Heather
    Owner, PeppyParents

I am in full agreement with Heather. As someone who also deals with UPPAbaby all the time as a retailer and also as a Dad, they are an absolutely delightful company to work with and I have never known a problem that they did not try to assist with, however proof of purchase it typically a necessity. Especially today as you see a lot of non-authorized sellers on Ebay (for example) selling these for far less than retail. Customers should know that if they go that route and have a warranty problem, it will not be covered.

Now, not saying that this is what this customer did, but if she does remember where she purchased the stroller from, and they are an authorized retailer, she should contact them and ask for a receipt. Most retailers have a system that they can easily look this information up and reprint for the customer if needed.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast