Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PeppyParents View Post
    The Vista came out as a 2006 model in late 2005.

For what it's worth, as a family-run retailer, we are always way more enthused about helping (and possibly bending policies for) pleasant customers who unfortunately encounter problems than the ones who make threats to attempt to destroy our business if all of their demands aren't met.
    Heather, thanks for making that point! As someone who worked many years in retail, I was always much more happy to help the people who were sweet and nice than the ones who were nasty and rude. I think in general, this is a good rule to live by! I know this is a bit OT, but I'm glad it was brought up.

Hopefully the OP will be able to get her invoice or something and Uppa will make it right. Luckily lots of people here brainstorming can help out!

Also, for those buying products, lately, if I don't buy a big product online, but rather in a B&M store, I've been scanning my receipt into the computer so if/when I lose it, I still have some record of the purchase. Not sure if that will be enough, but at least it gives the date/time/store/purchase price...

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow, I'm surprised you have had that many issues with your Vista. We got ours at the end of 2007 and are still using it with DS who is 2.5 He's almost outgrown the seatback but he's still ok. I've had nothing but great customer service from them!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

For what it's worth, as a family-run retailer, we are always way more enthused about helping (and possibly bending policies for) pleasant customers who unfortunately encounter problems than the ones who make threats to attempt to destroy our business if all of their demands aren't met.
    Oh no! I'm sorry if it sounded like I was serious. I was completely joking about making threats to the retailer in order to get better customer service. The smiley face was supposed to indicate this. I do not in any way think that this is an appropriate tactic to use with customer service representatives.

If I was in any way being serious, it was to point out that the OP is essentially spreading bad press about Uppababy because she is angry about her experience with their customer service. This is a kind of retaliation against the manufacturer. If it were me, I would have written this story as a cautionary tale to remind stroller buyers to keep their receipt so they can benefit from their stroller's warranty because I don't think Uppababy did anything wrong in not replacing the stroller without proof of purchase. I would then try to track down proof of purchase by some of the means I suggested and if that failed go out and buy a lighter, less bulky stroller for my baby (since she's older and probably no longer needs the full-sized Vista anyway) and move on.

I'm glad you posted your critique of the Vista, OP. I always appreciate when people are honest about the downside of a certain stroller because all strollers have them. (I was shocked to discover I don't love every single thing about the BJCE because nothing I read before I bought it hinted at the things I dislike most about it!) However, I don't think a manufacturer not doing a very costly repair without proof of purchase is something they should be criticized for. If it's true that Bugaboo doesn't require any proof of purchase for repairs, maybe that's part of what you are paying for when you pay the extra $300 for a Cameleon.

When a retailer gets bad feedback on Ebay, for example, they know who wrote it and have an opportunity to correct the situation or explain themselves. When this happens on an anonymous internet forum, they do not have these options. Again, my comment was not intended to be a serious suggestion, but if it was in any way serious it was to say that I do think people should recognize that negative comments on forums have an impact on companies and consider careful whether their critique is fair and balanced with the positive aspects of the company or product.

The retailers on the forum have said that they would prefer customers not threaten them with retaliation and efforts "to destroy their business" in order to get what they want, but is it really better to not give the company any opportunity to respond and simply proceed with retaliation in the form of bad internet press without any recourse for the company? This would be my point with my comment, not that the OP should use threats to get good customer service, but that if she is going to retaliate anyway it would be better for the company if not also for the achievement of her goals if the company knew about it. Not retaliating would be better still.
    Last edited by Multimama; 07-17-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: to try to clarify so I won't be misunderstood again!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! We called customer service twice. The second time we told them we couldn't find our receipt and asked if there was anything else we could do. They didn't suggest other alternatives like calling the retailer. It didn't occur to me that the retailer would have a copy of our purchase one and half years later (we did buy it from an authorized dealer). I'm not trying to trash the company, and none of the customer service reps were rude in any way. We were pretty happy with it for a year and a half. I just find it disappointing that they didn't offer alternatives, that an expensive stroller was destroyed early, and that they didn't even have us registered in their system as owners (I did figure sending in our postcard would cover us if anything went wrong). Honestly, we did not call back demanding to speak to a manager and play the "customer is always right" act. The stroller happened to break at a tough time for us, so we didn't have the energy to go through that (who does?!).

We put it aside for a few months before pulling it out to try the duct tape trick. That's when we found she doesn't fit in it anyway. I feel their site should note the height limit since they promote their 50lb limit and their stoller as, "Designed to grow with your child, the VISTA is the ideal strolling solution from birth through the toddler years. " Yes, we do have a big toddler, and I realize many other companies don't list height limits. But if you are promoting your stroller as designed to grow, the height should be considered as well (they are raising their seat by 1.5 inches on the 2010 model I beleive.) I really wasn't trashing the company; I was sharing my experience, just as everyone who wrote a glowing review. And yes, a good lesson learned is that you should keep your receipt for the life of your stroller (even if you have mailed your registration card)!

I think height limits are really hard because a child with a short torso and long legs is going to fit in the stroller much longer than a child with a long torso and short legs will, even if the two kids are the same height. I guess they could publicize their seat back height, but it probably wouldn't mean much to first time parents. I think they make their assessment of the age that a stroller will last to based on the average size of a child. If your child is bigger than average you don't get as much use out of so much baby stuff! If you want to know that info for your future stroller purchases, Strollerqueen has those measurements in her reviews.

I think it still might be worth trying to get a copy of your receipt from the retailer if your stroller is still within the warranty period. Vistas have a high resale value and you could sell it with what would probably be a brand new frame to fund your next stroller purchase.

A few things - first, Multimama, I thought you were fine, no worries
    Ardengirl, I would still call the retailer and see what they can do for you. They may be able to call Uppa for you. Also, you can call Uppa and ask for a supervisor, nicely explain your predicament and ask what can be done, or see if a credit card statement would be proof enough. Explain that you plan to use this stroller through at least one more child. You understand their policy of proof of receipt, however you can tell them where it was bought and the approximate date of purchase. (I'm sure there are quite a few people who are given strollers as gifts who do not have receipts). Perhaps if nothing else, they can sell you a new frame at cost. This would still be a better alternative. But as everyone else suggested, I would try to contact the retailer or see if a credit card statement will suffice.
    Good luck!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't think anyone here advocated that. The OP was actually pretty even-keeled for all the issues she's had with the stroller. IMO, posting online about one's negative experience with a retailer/manufacturer service provider is not attempting to destroy their business. It's just a review and the customer is entitled to it.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i agree, positive or negative reviews should be written

I have to say when I was reading the thread, I saw OP as someone who was frustrated (and rightfully so) and looking for some guidance. I saw Heather's comments more as tips for dealing with retailers and cs agents; not necessarily aimed at OP (or accusing OP) for something that was done, but rather could be done. I may have read everyone's posts wrong, but I think everyone is on the same page...

And as we have seen many times on these boards - we're all gonna have different opinions - bring them on!!! Though there is one thing I think we can all agree on: Arivecchi's neighbor needs to get some new skins for her BJCM...

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

well said! when you've forked out that much on a stroller, you expect a lot of it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast