JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Carriers for dummies?

Can anyone recommend a good starting point for someone who is absolutely CLUELESS about carriers? I used (and mostly loved) a leather Bjorn-like carrier (theodore bean) with my first two. My former 25-week preemie was too small initially for any type of carrier I knew of then, and by the time she weighed enuf, I was already pregnant with #4 and couldn't find any to be comfortable. I got a comfy Joey and used it with my last two and really liked it. It was fairly easy to figure out and both babies loved it. I also used it as a hip carry when they got bigger. I'm due with #6 in late feb/early march. Thinking it could be a boy (which would be a shock to the system after 4 girls) so my raspberry comfy Joey may not work. There are so many new options out there that I dont even know where to start. I usually grow small babies - ignoring my preemie, the wts ranged from 5lb10oz to 6lb8 oz. I don't think I'd like a ring sling, but I only say that based on a sling I tried that was similar to one that I hated b/c there was so much material. I also donthink a wrap type carrier would work for me b/c if it is not super easy I will get too frustrated. When the baby is born, I will have two in school full time and two in preschool 3 mornings a week that I will be driving both ways, and a 2 yr old at home.

Any suggestions on carriers themselves or places to go to get some more info? Thanks!!

J

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No real help on the carriers, but a huge CONGRATULATIONS!

I do like my Ergo, but never used it for a newborn.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Stretchy wraps are super comfy, and not too hard to use, but a similar carrier is the K'tan (wrap feel, but w/o all the fabric). Two shouldered carriers feel much more secure, to me, especially when chasing after older DC. You'd probably like a soft structured carrier, such as the Pikkolo, or beco gemini. Check out www.thebabywearer.com for lots more info and reviews.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

#6 - wow!

I love a Moby Wrap for a newborn.

I've tried woven wraps, ring slings, mei tais, podaegis, pouches - but always come back to the Ergo. (The Beco, AngelPak, Patapum, Pikkolo and other soft-structured carriers are essentially the same as the Ergo). It's comfortable and versatile and easy to use and portable. You'd need to use the infant insert for the first 4 or 5 months.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I loved my mei tais when my second was born. Since you tie them on, you can get it as tight/loose as you need it and you can also loosen the top straps a bit and nurse baby while wearing her. I used a pouch sling too, but much preferred the security of a two-shouldered carrier when I was getting up and down on the floor and chasing a toddler around the playground. The long straps may look intimidating, but I found they were pretty easy to manuever after a few practices. Aroudn 5-6 mos. I started wearing DD2 on my back too.

A friend of mine loved her Baby K'Tan. I tried one but found even the smallest size felt loose on me and seemed to stretch out quickly.

There are some buckle carriers that have interior supports for infants. The Beco Butterfly has a built in insert, so it makes it easier to get baby on your back, and the Ergo has a removable insert. I've heard the Pikkolo is good for tiny babies too. I didn't start using my SCC (Action Baby Carrier) until DD2 was about 7 mos.

Congrats and good luck!

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Love my baby ktan..... like a wrap but no wrapping!!!!!! I used it from the time B was born. There are lots of different ways to wear it.
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Congrats on #6! you'll have your hands more than full so a good carrier could be invaluable. I also make small babies and we've had great success with our Maya Wrap ring sling from birth on - ours were 5lb 10 oz and 6 lb babies. I hear great things about the Moby but all that fabric and tying deterred me. The Maya has a learning curve too but once you figure it out you're golden. We call it 'baby crack'! Starting at a month or so, I've liked the Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch -esp if you're having a fall/winter baby. And I just got a Pikkolo carrier which is totally hands free, very secure and easy on my back. Our baby is now 11 weeks old and still likes the Maya best followed by the KK and then the Pikkolo, but she will fall asleep in any of them - just as long as we're moving and she's snug in the carrier!

for Sandy Hook