Default Airline travel, checking car seat & stroller??

We are new parents and this is our first time traveling w/our baby. We our flying SW Airlines. They allow us to check our car seat & gate check our stroller. We have luggage destroyed by the airlines & are afraid of checking these items. We have a Chicco car seat & Baby Jogger City Mini stroller. Any suggestions on what we should use to check them? There are actual carrying cases sold by baby jogger & JL childress. Also the big red gate check bags. Do airlines supply bags? Your advice and experiences on airlines would greatly help! We fly out this Saturday 1.5hr flight. thanks

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You might be better off posting on the next forum down- the Places to Go: everywhere but Disney. They talk a lot about traveling over there. This one is mostly for gear.

AFAIK, airlines do not supply bags. One overseas airline gave me a big orange garbage bag to put my car seat in. Other than that, I don't know.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Take your car seat to the gate because if there is an open seat, you'll be able to install it and baby will have his/her own seat.

DEFINITELY buy yourself some bags for checking or gate checking. I had a stroller damaged once even though it was gate checked. We checked our car seat in bag last spring and it came out fine.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Default Airline travel

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    You might be better off posting on the next forum down- the Places to Go: everywhere but Disney. They talk a lot about traveling over there. This one is mostly for gear.

AFAIK, airlines do not supply bags. One overseas airline gave me a big orange garbage bag to put my car seat in. Other than that, I don't know.
    I appreciate the feedback, I will post on that thread as well. thanks

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would definately try to gate check both items and would have protective bags. We used the generic red gate check back and are very thankful that we did as it was quite dirty...I would have been very upset if the grease and grim was on my stroller! IME, airlines do not supply bags of any sort.
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

ehf is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

A lot of this seems to be luck. We gate-checked our snap n go with no bag and had no problems. Another passenger on the same flight had their handlebar on a Mac totally destroyed, not just marred with grease marks.

GL!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We love the JL childress ultimate bags and the baby jogger bags. Our stuff is always protected and clean.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Like others said, when you get to the gate, ask the agent if there are any empty seats and then you can take baby on the plane, it's so much safer instead of a LAP BABY.

If there's not empty seat your car seat will at least be hand carried down to the cargo hold, some type of bag that folds up small would be good to cover it. I never bagged my stroller and never had any problems in all the flights I've done.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i got the travel bag for BJCM made by Baby JOgger. i like how it had padded compartments for all 3 wheels. protected it from getting torn/stained with grease and all that.

i have the small JLChildress red bag for when we take our Mac Volo. the small jl childress bag is cheaper but it will only fit umbrella strollers, not BJCM. there is a bigger one, maybe that will.

we travel a lot and i've never ever heard of airlines/airports supplying bags. I would definitely bring a bag of some sort to gate check stroller and/or carseat if u are worried about it getting damaged.

dsb22 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Re the airlines and bags, when we flew with our Chicco infant seat in 2007, we were able to get a big plastic bag to put the base in. (You don't use the base for plane seat installation.) We would ask for a bag at the ticket counter when we checked in. We flew cross-country a number of times and never had a problem getting one. Of course a bag specifically for the purpose would have been better.