♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default baby gate for playroom?

i am looking to get a gate to keep my 6month old contained in his playroom (roughly 10' x 13'). the opening to the room (no door) is rather wide (about 48"), which makes things challenging (most gates seem to only go up to 44").

i did some searching and this hands-free gate from First Years looks to be exactly what I want (the hands-free option would be very, very useful for me, as i have bad knees and it would literally be a pain to have to crouch down at all while holding baby every time i wanted to open it!). the problem is, even with two extension kits, it would not be wide enough (only goes up to 44" with extension kits). Boo!

i see that many here have the Super Yard, but not sure that would be practical at all in this room. the playroom has really thick carpeting, and i'm not sure DS would like being confined like that. plus we have a small couch and other things in the playroom (foam puzzle mat, etc), so having a super yard seems like it would just look awkward and would break up the room too much..would much rather have just a gate. also, our playroom has a door to DS's nursery so if we just used a gate on the opening of the playroom, he could have access to his nursery as well as the playroom (both would be babyproofed of course).

any suggestions?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had the First Years' gate you linked to as well as 2 Kidco gates:
    http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-G15-Gate...bxgy_ba_text_b

The hands' free was fine but it didn't always open on it's own. Sometimes you would unlatch it but still need a hand to give it a nudge before it would swing open.

The quality of the Kidco ones were top notch! I really loved the ease of use.

I had this Evenflo one for a room that had a large door opening. YOu have to step over it but it was nice.
    http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Crosst...1&sr=1-1-spell

Beth

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One Step Ahead has an amazing selection of gates. So does ebay.

I don't have the Super Yard, I have this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=85217 with 2 extensions. It is in my dining room, which is uncarpeted, so I added a Play Spot to pad the floor. I've used it for 3 kids & find it useful when I need to do something in the vicinity & baby can still see me.

I also keep my den gated off & it's totally baby proofed. Between the room & the playard, I have most of my downstairs baby friendly.

We have the Evenflo Top of Stairs Plus gate (which they recently replaced as part of a recall.) It goes up to 48". We have it between our kitchen and living room to keep DD or the dogs from moving between these rooms. I really like it because it is so bare bones. We don't want it closed most of the time and the gate I initially bought swung shut automatically and couldn't be propped open. I can see how this would be nice in an area that is dangerous, but it didn't serve our purposes and drove me batty. When we leave it open it can be retracted part way or it's easy to take off the hardware to store elsewhere.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

FWIW, the metal Superyard can be used as a traditional wall-mounted gate. The panels can be separated so that you can make it any length you need (multiples of 24").

I don't know if this is true of the plastic version.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post

I don't have the Super Yard, I have this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=85217 with 2 extensions. It is in my dining room, which is uncarpeted, so I added a Play Spot to pad the floor. I've used it for 3 kids & find it useful when I need to do something in the vicinity & baby can still see me.
    This is what we used with DS and we loved it! We had it up in the living room and I put down foam mats over our hardwood.
    A very busy Mama to my two chiquitos.
    DS 11/08 and DD 7/10