dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Breathable Bumper?

How old were your children when you stopped using the Breathable Bumper? I just now put it on my daughter's crib and she is 17 months old. I was a little concerned when I put it on because of the velco...my daughter LOVES undoing velcro! I'm wondering if I embarked on this mission too late in the game. I'm hoping to like the bumper too, but it just took me a good 30 minutes to get it on her crib! Having said that, we do have a round crib and I know it is shown on a standard crib and the directions are for a standard crib so perhaps thats what slowed us down. Oy vey! Now, sadly, I have an overtired child and a mom whose out of patience. We both need a break!
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I took it down around 6m, when he was pulling to a stand. It doesn't really support a lot of weight before buckling so odds were low he could use it as a springboard to get out of the crib. But, it was a concern so out it went.

Beth

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think we had it in DD's crib until she was about 18 months old. She got sick and threw up on it, I washed it but never bothered to put it back in. DS is 10 months old and currently has it in his crib.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

took it out at 5 mo, when DS started hitting his head against the crib slats due to all his rolling around etc, and i thought SIDS was much less of a concern. to replace it we got the traditional thick bumpers from PBK the provide way more cushioning, and he can't get his foot stuck in the slats anymore.we will be lowering the crib soon to prevent him from using the thick bumper to get out.

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So perhaps I am very late to the scene with this bumper. I think I'll give it a try for a while and see what happens. Worst case, maybe I will find that I want it for some reason for daughter #2 although we already have a bumper from PBK. Heck, after a while the bumper for daugther #1 was looking squashed and less pretty...maybe the same will be true for daughter #2 and I'll be glad I have it.
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we had it on there for a while........I can't remember exactly when we took it off......possibly when we moved, so DD was about 18 months I think. I would have put it back on, but DH thought it was silly to put back on. I'm planning on putting it on DD2's crib when she moves out of our room.

I never fully took it off once I had it on. I was able to change the sheets with it on. I would reposition it and pull it tighter sometimes, but never fully take it off. And DD stepped on it many times and it always folded flat, so I never worried about her using it as leverage.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Oh my goodness after reading this I decided to put DS's regular bumper back on (not a breatheable), now that he rolls all around and sits up etc on his own I am less worried about his breathing...He went to sleep last night without my having to rock him and I am really hoping this is because now he cant see out of the crib when laying down so hes not distracted or wanting us if he can see a light in the hall and he isnt getting his legs stuck between the bars anymore (thats a big problem at night). And he actually took a decent 1.5 hr nap today.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

I bought ours when DS was about 16 months old. The other bumper was so thick and hot, but he still needed something to prevent his limbs from getting stuck between the slots. I plan on using it until we put him in a big boy bed, so I don't think you are too late in the game at all.
    mama to DS 12/08

DD is 18 mo and I have no intention of taking down the breathable bumper anytime soon. It keeps the beloved little blankie from falling out. It tends to get shoved all over her crib and she'll wake up at night looking for it. If it falls out of her crib, I'm not sure she'll go back to sleep. Yeah...we'll be keeping the breathable bumper. It squashes down when she puts any weight on it, so I'm not concerned about it "helping" to to climb out.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009