a2mom is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Question Baby Suddenly Rejecting Breast Milk

I have a 3 month old baby who takes both breast milk and formula in bottles (due to nursing issues, I'm pumping exclusively and supplementing with formula). She's been fine with both options until the past week, when at the same time every day (around 11 AM- 2:00 PM), she has a fit if I offer her breastmilk. She does have reflux and is taking medicine for it so I thought at first she was just having reflux. But at the same time of day for several days and only with breast milk??? I tested it today: gave her breast milk and she started sucking happily and then after 1/2 ounce, started crying and pushing the nipple out again and again. I switched to formula and she sucked down 4 ounces, no problem, no fussing.

I can't think of anything new in my diet lately. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be going on?

Thanks!

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I assume you're using the same bottles/nipples for both and the temperature is the same (not room temp vs. cold, for example).

You might want to smell/taste your breastmilk to make sure it isn't rancid. Sometimes if you have excess lipase in the breastmilk it can turn sour quickly and the baby might reject it.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

Another thing I thought of is maybe it is the reflux and that the baby's just getting sleepier when she accepts the formula. DD had reflux and she totally did the drink 1/2 ounce and then stop too. Sometimes she would refuse to drink from the bottle/breast initially, then might accept it a few minutes later because she always drank better when she was drowsy. Also, 3 months was the worst time for her reflux and she was refusing feeds a lot then. Have you tried offering the BM a 2nd time after the initial refusal, or tried offering formula first...is that any different?
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

a2mom is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Refusing Breast Milk

I've tried offering the breast milk a second time and it's usually refused; sometimes I can get her to take it. I'll try offering formula first tomorrow and see what happens.

The milk smells fine and it's all the same temperature, same bottle & nipple (usually). My husband suggested trying her all on formula one day to see how she responds during that time period, and then try her all on breast milk then next day. Not sure if that will help or not.