AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Red face soo bummed....we have to take a break from cloth

Just got back from the pediatrician and it turns out that DD2s yeast infection (diagnosed 2 weeks ago) is still not getting better. We've pretty much narrowed down the cause to the cloth diapers from the diaper service. So we are switching to 7th Gen. for the unforseeable future. However I would really like to do cloth prefolds or Fuzzi Bunz pockets (Ialready have 12 of those from DD1) at home in another month or two.

I would like to know though if you use prefolds what's the best way to wash them (preferably without bleach) and still get them super clean. If it matters any we have a front loader w/o a sanitation cycle.

Also want to thank everyone for all of their help in this venture because I really did enjoy the ease of cloth diapering.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Sorry you're having a setback, but you need to do what you need to do to get your daughter healthy again!
    I don't know what Bum Genius diapers are considered (category/ name), but that's what I use, and I do 2 wash cycles (LG front loader washer). First cycle is cold/cold (1/4 of manufacturer's rec. detergent; I use All Free & Clear liquid)... I just do the fastest cycle, which is 34 minutes. Second cycle is hot/ cold (same deal w/the detergent); again 34 minutes. Finally I do a rinse & spin, which I think is 17 minutes, but I could be wrong. I think I just set it to cold/ cold for that one. I suppose I could do some sort of sanitation cycle, or a longer cycle for cottons (which is around 50-something minutes?), but I'm lazy and want it to be quick & use less water. I usually do the load at night (have to stop back 3 times to set up everything and make sure the inserts come out of the outer colored part after the first cycle), and after the final rinse I put the inserts in the dryer and hang the outer colored parts on our drying rack so they'll be dry by morning.

Good luck!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Poor baby!

Did the diaper service tell you what kind of detergent they used?

For prefolds we do:
    1. Cold rinse cycle with oxyclean (which is baking soda + washing soda)
    2. Hot wash cycle with extra rinse. We use a small amount of regular old Tide plus some vinegar.

We have a front loader with a sanitize cycle but I don't bother with it. But it was very handy for prepping the prefolds since the water gets so hot.

For a detailed rundown of how-to-wash, Green Mountain's instructions can't be beat. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/washing-diapers.htm
    Last edited by wellyes; 07-23-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DON'T use the sanitation cycle. I swear it ruined my lovely organic prefolds. It made them crunchy!!! Hot is as hot as you need, and some people I know like to use Bac-Out. I use baby oxyclean and all free & clear. (tried rockin' green, but seemed to irritate DS' butt).

For a yeast infection there are a couple of different ways to get rid of it in diapers but grapefruit seed extract is a good one, plus apple cider vinegar - see this link for a good website that deals with a lot of different CDing issues, including yeast rashes.

http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/diaper-rash-cure/

Don't lose heart!