Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have to say we loved ours too. I can understand how irritating thing like this can be until you have children that reach that age range. Our first son loved to walk and walked correctly in them so they were a neat thing to have. He outgrew them so fast but they did help his walking a lot.
    Our second was also a runner. We don't go to the mall much since it is an outdoor mall but when we did go he had them on and as he "ran" in front of us we knew exactly where he was and he too was out of them quickly and once he began walking he walked without any issues. I also had sooo many complements from people who thought they were great. I did take them off as soon as we got home though!
    But I used to hate things like this too until I had kids. I used to cringe at people who had the little leashes on their kids. But then I had a runner and it was a safety thing for us. He couldn't run farther than the end of the animal leash and began to understand is limits and it helped a lot. I don't care what we look like, sound like or anything as long as we return home safely.
    Too often I see kids standing completely lost and a parent or two crazily looking for their child. I have recommended to people to get the squeak shoes if they have a runner. I even used to question how a parent could loose a child. Then I had a second and then a third and fourth. Now I completely understand!!!!

B

Ds 03, 06 and twins 09!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ok well now after reading some of the responses i guess these shoes make sense if u have multiple children and want a way to keep track of them, especially if u are out by yourself in a crowded place outside like a park or whatever. however, the toddler i saw with these squeak shoes had BOTH parents with her , and she was the only child with them, and we were inside a store.... so i saw no reason to subject the public to the tortuous repetitive LOUD squeaking...

i don't know, if anybody ever gave DS a pair of squeak shoesas a gift, i think i'd have to reciprocate by buying their child a drum set.

DS can't walk yet, but i'm pretty sure he will be a runner/bolter (i can tell he's the very active type that just wants to explore everything and is not the type that wants to cling to mama). but in that case i'd probably go with using a child locator device (or even those leashes) rather to subject myself (and everyone else within a 500 ft radius) to CONSTANT annoying squeaking for the entire time we are out! i think I'D get a migraine just listening to my own kid wear them for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    ok well now after reading some of the responses i guess these shoes make sense if u have multiple children and want a way to keep track of them, especially if u are out by yourself in a crowded place outside like a park or whatever. however, the toddler i saw with these squeak shoes had BOTH parents with her , and she was the only child with them, and we were inside a store.... so i saw no reason to subject the public to the tortuous repetitive LOUD squeaking...

i don't know, if anybody ever gave me a pair of squeak shoes for DS as a gift, i think i'd have to reciprocate by buying their kid a drum set.

DS can't walk yet, but i'm pretty sure he will be a runner/bolter (i can tell he's the very active type that just wants to explore everything and is not the type that wants to cling to mama). but in that case i'd probably go with using a child locator device (or even those leashes) rather to subject myself (and everyone else within a 500 ft radius) to CONSTANT annoying squeaking for the entire time we are out! i think I'D get a migraine just listening to my own kid wear them for 10 minutes.
    I have to agree with you, Ill probably get flamed for this but I have always felt its a bit ridiculous if you need squeaky shoes to keep track of where your kid is. Im with you on using the locator or even a leash if my DS gets away from me that quick and invisibley. I also dont see the need to subject everyone to that annoying racket, if your kid wants to wear them at home and squeak away thats cool so long as you can put up with the noise.

I know so cold and heartless...but I can only take so much squeakies!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

*chuckles* I threatened DH with buying those for DD after we went out to eat with friends whose daughter had them. He kept freaking out whenever E got out of her seat & he'd hear "that weird noise, again."
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    I have to agree with you, Ill probably get flamed for this but I have always felt its a bit ridiculous if you need squeaky shoes to keep track of where your kid is. Im with you on using the locator or even a leash if my DS gets away from me that quick and invisibley. I also dont see the need to subject everyone to that annoying racket, if your kid wants to wear them at home and squeak away thats cool so long as you can put up with the noise.

I know so cold and heartless...but I can only take so much squeakies!
    Easy to say with a 6 month old singleton. And exactly how would a leash at a playground work? Not a flame, but this reminds me of the great advice that childless people give to people with kids. Quoting you, it's "ridiculous". Talk to me when you have two year old twins.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Easy to say with a 6 month old singleton. And exactly how would a leash at a playground work? Not a flame, but this reminds me of the great advice that childless people give to people with kids. Quoting you, it's "ridiculous". Talk to me when you have two year old twins.
    Ive been a fulltime nanny of 4, under 4. Im not speaking from having NO experience. Yes I know being a nanny donesnt mean they are your kids, but being with them 45+ hrs a week sure gives you lots of experience in child rearing. Certainly didnt mean to offend you, sorry.

ETA Furthermore, I said I agreed to Ms Pacman, and she stated she could see using them in a park or crowded place like you state above, but not in a store. I can see that, next time I will be more specific in my agreement....
    Last edited by WolfpackMom; 07-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i guess the thing i don't get is, if possibly losing a kid from view is such a concern, why not use a child locator device (like this) that only goes off once your child has gone a certain distance? why subject everyone to CONSTANT squeaking even if they're right next to you for a while?? and unlike a park or whatever, in indoor situations (like in a store, waiting in line to checkout) others can't move away as easily, everyone is kinda forced to listen to it.

the girl inside the store who was wearing the shoes and was mostly jumping/running around near her parents. i guess i'm just annoyed too that they didn't have more consideration for others in the store, as they were REALLY really loud (u could hear it from 6 aisles away!).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-27-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i guess the thing i don't get is, if possibly losing a kid from view is such a concern, why not use a child locator device (like this) that only goes off once your child has gone a certain distance? why subject everyone to CONSTANT squeaking even if they're right next to you for a while??
    It's not so much for tracking them if they're lost, it's for knowing where they're headed. At our big playground there's the tot area, a few climby things, and then the big kids play area. They are at the age where that big kids play area is mighty enticing. So if I'm helping one DD on the climby things, and I hear squeak squeak to my left, I know the other one is playing on the age appropriate tot equipment. If I hear fast squeak squeak headed to the right, I know someone is headed where they shouldn't be!
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 07-27-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    I have always felt its a bit ridiculous if you need squeaky shoes to keep track of where your kid is.
    Oh, be careful. If I had a dime for every time I said, "I'll NEVER be that parent" and then later ate my words, we could be retired right now.

I have found it is wise to not judge other parents. Most of us are doing the best we can.

And btw, I have been a nanny too, and it is NOTHING like raising my own kids. It doesn't even compare.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Oh, be careful. If I had a dime for every time I said, "I'll NEVER be that parent" and then later ate my words, we could be retired right now.

I have found it is wise to not judge other parents. Most of us are doing the best we can.

And btw, I have been a nanny too, and it is NOTHING like raising my own kids. It doesn't even compare.
    I didnt say NEVER. I am not judging. And as I said, sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. I also said I knew it wasn't the same. So, sorry, again.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast