Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Mackinac Island, Michigan?

Have you ever been to Mackinac Island in Michigan?

If so, when did you go? Where did you stay?

Tell me more about it, please!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My sister and her husband go every summer and spend a day or 2 on Mackinac on their way up to spend a week in Traverse City (at the beach). They really like it. I'll have to ask her where they stay.

My parents also honeymooned there 40 years ago!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Oh, our family loves Mackinac! I've been there probably 15 or so times; we used to go there about every summer when I was growing up... often went over Labor Day weekend, as it's a good place to spend about 3 days & that's about all the time you need.
    We used to stay at the Windemere or Iroquois Hotel, or the Island House, though when we went about 5 years ago, we stayed at a B&B (don't remember the name). There are lots of cute places to stay.
    Great fudge, salt water taffy, peanut brittle, etc.
    Fun to rent bikes and bike around the island. Also fun to take a horse & buggy ride around the island to get a tour and find out more about the place. You can also rent horses just to ride them around.
    Lots of t-shirt & other souvenir shops.
    Be prepared for rain, just in case. If there's a downpour, often all the shops will be out of the cheap plastic ponchos since the tourists snatch them up right away.

Have fun!

I've been several times. It's only open to tourists for part of the year. I've stayed at B&Bs on the island, and chain hotels on either side. You can either stay on the island which is pretty $$$, or in Mackinaw City or St. Ignace and take the ferry over. St. Ignace is on the UP side of the bridge and somewhat cheaper than Mackinaw City. You'll be called a fudgie if you just go over for the day

Here's the offical website for the island: http://www.mackinacisland.org/
    and Mackinaw City: http://www.mackinawcity.com/

It's tons of fun
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Love the Iroquois Hotel! We went in August both times.
    Last edited by arivecchi; 07-26-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We go every year over Memorial Day & stay at Grand Hotel. It's a very fun, relaxing place. The kids love it.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You MUST do a fudge crawl. Totally sickening but totally fun!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

We went once and stayed at the Market Street Inn. Standard B&B, nothing fancy but perfectly nice. We would go over to the Grand to look around, but can't stay there! It's a fun place to walk and look around, but I wouldn't think you would need more than a couple of days there. We also rented bikes and rode all the way around the island, that was a fun way to spend an afternoon.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When we went to Mackinac Island as part of our honeymoon, we stayed at the Lake View hotel. It was beautiful and we loved it (plus it's the only hotel on the island with an indoor pool).

Otherwise we usually stay in Mackinaw City and take the ferry across.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have gone up there almost every year of my life over Labor Day weekend. I come from a large family and we could never afford to stay on the island. We actually camped nearby and took our own boat to the island. If you're looking to save $, Mackinaw City or St. Ignace is the way to go except for paying for the ferry. There are a lot of nice hotels and B&B on the island, though. My friend always stayed at the Bay View B&B, and she is quite particular, so it must be good. It's a great place to go for a couple of days. Labor Day weekend is VERY busy, though, because people can walk the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day, which draws a big crowd.
    Last edited by boltfam; 07-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast