janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default First time travel with an almost 2 yr old -help!

Any BTDT moms have tips? It is a 5+ hr plane ride and I'm loaded up on toys, books, snacks and DVD's. But I have some other questions if you don't mind!

1)Will the DVD player last the whole trip or will I need to recharge on the plane? I can see a tantrum happening if the Dora DVD goes black!

2)Food - any tips on how to feed a toddler somewhat healthily when staying in a hotel? Are there any emergency items I can bring in case we don't find a suitable meal for her? This is a case when baby food would have come in handy!

3)If you could only bring one item-would you bring a car seat or stroller? We will have family on the other side who can led us a car seat but not sure i we're better off (safer) with our own.

Thanks!!

ehf is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

2) Don't be afraid to ask for special orders. Almost any place can do plain grilled chicken breast and side veggies. I have never had a place turn me down....If you look at a menu and see potential, just start editing the meal. I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

3) I'm not sure why you question the safety of the car seat. If you really have safety concerns, I guess you have to take yours. If not, I'd definitely take the stroller.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I always question others car seat offers, can't tell how many times I've been told "it's ok we have this FANCY Eddie Bauer seat....." I'd bring the carseat, use it on the plane, it will make it soooo much easier to keep a 2 year old in place. Our DVD battery had about a 4 hour life span so you should be fine. You can't use it for take off and landing so you're down to 4 hours.

I'd put the carseat on the stroller, make it fit and walk the toddler if you can (get them tired) or put the carseat in a some type of bag, either backpack style or pull style with wheels and have toddler in the stroller. Gate check the stroller right at the airplane door.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

1) Ours would last the whole trip. I'd test it before you go. Have it run for as long as it will last.

2) I always pack granola bars, rasins and other snacks in my check luggage for the hotel. I'd try to make a grocery run if you are going to be there for a while. That said, eating healthy while traveling can be a challenge.

3) It would depend on the offer/person. I'd REALLY want to know about the carseat. We have always traveled with both stroller and car seat. I'd borrow a carseat from my sister or a good friend who I know is like me when it comes to car seat care/expiration dates etc. but my kids might perfer their own. We've never borrowed. I'd borrow a stroller

/hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    Any BTDT moms have tips? It is a 5+ hr plane ride and I'm loaded up on toys, books, snacks and DVD's. But I have some other questions if you don't mind!

1)Will the DVD player last the whole trip or will I need to recharge on the plane? I can see a tantrum happening if the Dora DVD goes black!

2)Food - any tips on how to feed a toddler somewhat healthily when staying in a hotel? Are there any emergency items I can bring in case we don't find a suitable meal for her? This is a case when baby food would have come in handy!

3)If you could only bring one item-would you bring a car seat or stroller? We will have family on the other side who can led us a car seat but not sure i we're better off (safer) with our own.

Thanks!!
    1) Check your DVD player manual. For ours if you set the light at a bit lower setting it actually lasts an hour longer than at the brightest setting. If you don't have the manual check online - most manufacturers post theirs there. Side note - forewarn her that the pilot decides when the DVD must be turned off. The only time my older DD cried on a flight a few years ago was when we turned off the movie. FOrtunately it was during the descent and she had been otherwise perfect so I just told a nearby passenger that her ears hurt Now she knows that it's not our decision and I try to forewarn her 1/2 an hour or so before scheduled landing time.

2) I travel with fruit cups (Dole packs of peaches, pineapple and mandarin oranges). They travel pretty well in suitcases, don't need refrigeration and if you pour out the syrup before serving it's a nice little dish for a 2yo to eat on her own.

3) I personally would bring an umbrella stroller, especially if you don't want to carry a child everywhere including through an entire airport. 2yos are notorious for temper tantrums when they see fun things and an airport is one big distraction without being strapped in. (I have a 2yo - I know )

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for all the feedback and wish me luck (leave in 2 days)!