Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Do your toddler twins sometimes just have a crazy can't sleep night?

(This turned out to be long...I know we don't get much traffic on this board, I'm just kind of venting, and would love to hear "me too" stories or advice!)

I am seriously dragging today. I don't even know what happened last night. Our girls are usually really good sleepers (thank goodness). But there have been a couple of time where they've both seem to just lose it. Last night was one of them. They went down normally enough. But I could hear one kind of 1/2 crying. DH went in, and she wasn't really awake, didn't even sit up when he went to her crib. Then a couple of hours later, the same sort of 1/2 crying. I decided to go to bed, and check on her. By the time I got the lights turned out, the OTHER one (S) was making a desperate crying sound.

I go in, and S is freaking out and claws at me to climb up. But calms down almost immediately. D is asleep. I put S down, I go to get into bed.

And all heck breaks loose. D immediately wakes up crying her head off. I go in to comfort her. She's losing it. S seems to be asleep. I rock D. Try to put her back, she really loses it. I try to tiptoe out with her to co-sleep. S wakes up. I think she'll go right back to sleep. No go. I wake DH tell him D is in bed. S is standing in her crib. I comfort her. Back to our room, D is awake, S is crying, DH tells D she has to go back to her bed (they will not both fit into our bed, and it would just be a playgroup if they are both in there). Back they go. S sleeps. D cries. I try to leave. D cries more. I go back in. I change D's diaper put her in crib. S is shrieking. I try to change her diaper and she's having a crazy fit....which riles D up. They are both shrieking, thrashing, hitting their heads against the crib rail. DH sneaks in behind me and scares the holy c**p out of me so bad that I scream. That freaks everyone out. He says he "thought I needed help" and stays in for 30 seconds and then back to bed for DH (yeah, thanks for the help). This lasted FOREVER. Somewhere in there I tried re-doing the bedtime routine with stories and lights out. That worked for one, not the other. Eventually I told them that EVERYONE is asleep. Grandma is sleeping, their gym teacher is sleeping, the teen who works at the gym, our Boxer, our poodle, EVERYONE is sleeping, they have to sleep too. Somehow that worked!

This lasted hours! This was the worst night we've had since bringing them home from the hospital and D was still on oxygen and her heart apnea monitor would go off regularly. WTF happened? We're supposed to have our first date night in FOREVER tomorrow, and now I'm worried the girls will freak out. ARGH!
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 07-30-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!