Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Clean a pack n play w/ smoke smell?

I can't complain. I am so grateful to have been given a pack n play, but it reeks of cigarette smoke. I think the DCP smoked, but I know the family doesn't. Anyways, DH wants to clean it, but none of the fabric side rail covers are removable, and I don't know if the mattress can go in the washer either. How do you clean this? What cleaners are safe and would best get a smoke smell out?

Should I be THAT concerned about putting future DD to sleep in it w/ its history? Will there be lingering chemicals from smoke that I should be worried about that might not wash out? My thought was that if it didn't smell anymore, it should be safe, but with some things the smell never goes away, I guess. We heard oxyclean and a power washer plus some good sundrying could help.

I hadn't really intended on buying/registering for one b/c I knew no one would get it (as it is we're having trouble getting family to offer big things like car seats, crib mattresses, etc), and we don't technically have the room. It'd just be nice for vacations or a second place to change a baby downstairs (although even still, we don't have much room for it). So, if this doesn't pan out, we won't have one at all.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would never use any item that smelled like smoke around a child of any age, and definitely NOT a baby. JMHO.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You know I'm all weird about this stuff, but I wouldn't use it, personally.

Here's a fairly recent msnbc piece about "third hand" smoke

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35318118...th-addictions/

I think even if you get most of the smell out, there's likely some ick residing in it.

I don't know. If you are looking at infrequent use with it, maybe not a big deal. I personally can't stand anything even remotely smokey though and wouldn't put my baby in it for any extended period of time.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Nope dont care if was brand new and free your little one will be laying down on the padding and chewing on that rail. I would get rid of it.

You can try leaving it outside but once it is that permeated it is almost impossible to get the smell out.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Okay, so this brings up its own delicate situation....what do I do with it? This is someone I would see REGULARLY. Should I give it back?? What do you say?
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you have the space, I would keep it until the baby is a few months old (not use it) and then give it back, saying thanks, but we didn't use it.

If you don't have the space, I'd just say thanks, we don't have the space.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    If you have the space, I would keep it until the baby is a few months old (not use it) and then give it back, saying thanks, but we didn't use it.

If you don't have the space, I'd just say thanks, we don't have the space.
    sounds good to me.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Very politic. Thanks.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would not use it, I think it is a health concern. Consider that even if you cannot smell it, your baby might be able to. You don't want to compromise her sense of smell when she is so new and you are trying to establish bonding and perhaps breastfeeding. You can probably get a nice used non-smoky PNP on Craigslist for $30 or less. Or I would register for one, someone might surprise you! Maybe you can tell the person who gave you the smoky one that you really want a certain one?
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would definately not use it. Secondhand smoke is a risk factor in SIDS and I wouldn't want any amount of smoke anywhere near my baby.

I would still register for one and if you don't get it you may end up with a bunch of gift cards and you can buy an inexpensive basic model for yourself. Or you could get one off Craigslist that comes from a "smoke-free" home.
    Last edited by essnce629; 08-02-2010 at 05:19 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast