Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default DELMARVA beaches.... Ocean City vs Rehobeth or Bethany...UPDATE at bottom

We were planning to go to VA Beach, but now my SIL and her family are also coming. VA Beach is too far for them, so we are looking at Delmarva instead. We are finding inexpensive places in Ocean City.

But my neighbor told me yesterday she thought we would hate it there, that we would think it was too loud and crowded. We've been to Bethany and Rehobeth before so we know what that's like, but we've never been to Ocean City.

FWIW, we like VA Beach a lot, but again my neighbor said it was a lot more family friendly than Ocean City and they try to keep things quiet there. She and her DH have lived in this area all their lives and are very easy going, so it surprised and concerned me that she was so negative about it.
    Last edited by egoldber; 09-07-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I have limited experience with the three, and went pre-kids and pre-LA move, so my advice is 10 years old. Ocean City is definitely the livelier of the three. I would say there are more "partyers" there. But it's not icky or too over the top. It's still family friendly. The boardwalk might be fun for the kiddoes.

But "knowing" you I would think you'd prefer Rehoboth. It's much more mellow. Bethany I barely remember, it was kind of blah.

ETA: OC is definitely the most crowded of the three! More cars and the issues that brings (traffic etc).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OC is much more crowded and has a lot more traffic than Rehoboth and Bethany. There's a lot more riff-raff there. We took the kids to the OC boardwalk once while visiting friends and I was glad none of my kids could read yet. There are skanky shops everywhere with nasty sayings on them, girls hanging out of their bikinis wearing little else (evenings on the boardwalk) with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths, foul language....you get the idea.

We stay at Bethany and then go to Rehoboth for restaurants and the Rehoboth boardwalk. Totally different vibe there and far more family friendly.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Another vote for Rehoboth out of those three.

We just came back from Cape May which I thought was great for young kids. We did the beach in the mornings and then other activities, like the trolley ride, wandering around the harbor and shopping in the afternoons. There were lots of things we didn't even get to: the Cape May zoo, the aviation museum, tea parties for kids and their teddy bears at the Emlen Physick Estate, storytime at the lighthouse, etc.

Cape May may be farther than you're looking at but if you go to Rehoboth you could always take the ferry over to Cape May one day. If you do that, it'll probably be cheaper to come as a foot passenger and leave your car behind. Without a car, a lot of activities I mentioned in Cape May wouldn't be possible but you could still do the beach and wander around the shops.

I agree with TwinFoxes, I think Bethany is kind of blah. Rehoboth has more going on than Bethany and is cleaner and quieter than Ocean City. And Ocean City, well, I know a lot of teens like the boardwalk but I'm in NO rush to take my child there anytime soon. It's more crowded and a lot rougher than Rehoboth or Cape May.

Have fun wherever you go!

What about Fenwick Island?

Cost is somewhat of an issue, especially for the other family. We need a place with 4 bedrooms.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Fenwick is a really small part right at the northern tip of Ocean City, before you get to Bethany. One good thing is that the northern part of OC is much more family-oriented than the southern part. Numbered streets start at 1 (down by boardwalk) and go all the way up to 145th. Fenwick begins (I believe) right after 145th. My mom had a place on 141st for years and it is very different than the lower numbered streets. More peaceful and less crazy. You could drive to the Rehoboth boardwalk in about 1/2 an hour. If the rates are cheaper, I think it's a good choice.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

We just booked a oceanfront condo on 141st in OC for labor day week. The north part of OC is has a different vibe, much quiter I think. I figure we can always drive into Rehobeth for their boardwalk the same for OC boardwalk. Good Luck

OC has a well-deserved reputation. Go a little north for more quiet and family-friendly beaches. I used to love Rehoboth, and Fenwick Is. is I think still quite nice - it's right on the ocean and a bay.

gl!
    Last edited by ThreeofUs; 08-01-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Thanks! We're not finding a whole lot in our price range in Rehobeth, but Bethany and Fenwick Island seem very doable.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have been going with family to Indian Beach, just south of Rehoboth, the past 4 years. Love it! No hotels, just homes to rent. Well, there are some hotels but up in Dewey Beach, which is close to where we are, they really don't seem great (think college kids, party hotels). Last year this time I was still able to find rentals, especially on the sound side.

Another option, not on the ocean, is Deep Creek MD. It wouldn't be a bad drive and there are lots of great rentals. It was a fun resort town. Not as nice as Indian or Dewey Beach but still nice and good outdoorsy stuff to do.

Beth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast