Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SnuggleBuggles:

Could you list rental agencies for homes in Indian Beach? I haven't found too many agencies. We go to the Outer Banks every year and find it very easy to find house rentals. We already went but want to take a 2nd beach vacation in September to the Delaware beaches. Thanks for any help!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That was an issue, to be honest, and a reason I went to Deep Creek instead. The rental websites were really crappy that I was finding for the Indian Beach area. I agree, the Outer Banks' websites and options were so much better too and we almost went there. This is who my family uses for the rentals:
    http://www.jacklingo.com/rentals/index.htm

HTH,
    Beth

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What about Lewes?

I had heard Dewey was a "party beach". Is that not true?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dewey is a party beach.

Lewes is very quiet. Very. My good friends bought a beach house there a year ago and we've visited twice. It's very nice, very calm, out of the way....but you're 15 mins to Rehoboth so you could drive there to find stuff to do if you wanted.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just got back from a week at South Bethany with my extended family and it was great. The beaches weren't too crowded and it was 100% family orientated. My dad picked up the tab and the 4 bedroom house was ~$3000 for the week. It was on the beach block and pretty nice inside and out.

A few years ago we went to Fenwick Island with my extended family and we had a good time. The house we rented was on the bay side of Rt 1 so you have to cross a pretty busy road to get to the beach and it was ~2-3 blocks. You're kids are older so it should be OK but with DD we were happy to be on the beach side of the main road. Fenwick Island has a really cute water/splash park that is geared for little kids. It is pretty affordable and there is only one big slide so no self respecting teenager would go there.

I would stay away from OC if you are looking for a quiet family vacation. We went to the board walk and it was very interesting people watching.

When/if you go, try to plan your Bay Bridge crossing before 8:30 on the Saturday. Even if you get to the beach before you can check into you house you can go and hang out at Henelopen State park or head to the outlets in Rehobeth for a couple of hours. The bridge can be backed up past the Kent Narrows bridge. Also, if you take 404 across Delmarva, there is a state park (Tuckahoe) that is a good bathroom break....no lines.

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Definitely not Dewey- It's a 1 mile town of college and post college kids walking from bar to bar. (yeah, i had a house there for several summers!) I am also not an OCMD fan- the high rises dont appeal to me.

Rehoboth definitely more family oriented, as is Lewes but I think (don't quote me) you would have to drive to the beach from anywhere in Lewes. Bethany and Fenwick are also very nice and peaceful. There are activities for not-so-nice days in the area- great outlets, Rehoboth shopping, take the ferry to cape may, explore historic Lewes.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thanks all. We rented a place in North Bethany.

the 4 bedroom house was ~$3000
    Yes, there is a lot of nice stuff in that range, but that is about double the budget!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post

Yes, there is a lot of nice stuff in that range, but that is about double the budget!
    Wish I had seen this earlier. I would've recommended looking into Sea Colony in Bethany. Lots of great ammenities.

We are Bethany Beachers and love it. Easy drive to North OC (we avoid the OC boardwalk- ick- but go to mini golf and some of the restaurants in North OC) and Rehoboth.

Have fun!

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post

Great choice, will wish you good weather!!! I'm across in OC NJ for the summer and it's really been great weatherwise!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I guess because the house that the family rents is just 1-3 houses in from the shore we are a bit more isolated from the partiers- they tend to be closer to the main road rather than tucked in. We stay in our little bubble of house to shore or drive up to Rehoboth.

Beth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast